Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window Tinting

I'm thinking about getting my hatch window tinted, and maybe the door windows. I stopped in and talked to the sales person at a local detail shop. i asked if there was any problem with the tint messing up the rear defrost heating elements. She assured me there would be no problem, even if the tint had to be replaced in the future for warrantee or other reasons.

So, i have a few questions:

1. Has anyone had a negative issues with tinting the rear hatch window?

2. Any concerns with tinting the door windows?

3. And , I know there is a legal issue on the door window tint, I know you aren't allowed to go too dark. But, can I go as dark as I want on the hatch window, and still be legal?

Thanks,
John
Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Many states allow any darkness on the hatch but be sure to look up your state's tinting law before doing the act just to be sure, if you wish to stay legal.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have tinted all of the cars I have ever had (9) and have some good experience concerning this topic...

1. Has anyone had a negative issues with tinting the rear hatch window?
I have never run into any major issues, even when removing the previous tint and re-tinting. When considering the rear window, whoever is tinting must be careful with the defrost lines. Its not really a big issue when tinting for the first time, however, it is important to be very careful when removing...

2. Any concerns with tinting the door windows?Here in California it is illegal to have any tint on the front windows...Nonetheless, mine are 5% and I have never been pulled over. Just make sure to check with your state laws if you are really concerned...

The front windows are very easy to tint by the way and should only cost around $50 or so to do them as well.

3. And , I know there is a legal issue on the door window tint, I know you aren't allowed to go too dark. But, can I go as dark as I want on the hatch window, and still be legal?
Once again, I would check with state laws. Here in Cali, you can go as dark as you want on any of the windows besides the front doors and windshield...

GOODLUCK!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How dark you can go depends on your state laws and your *****. I can only tint the rear hatch only, but I got the sides at 5% and the front windshield at 35%.

The only concern about the rear hatch, (which I can't believe no one has stated already) is the air pocket that is created at the top of the rear hatch. It has something to do with the curve and the dot matrix. I've heard of ways to go about that but I had the tints installed BEFORE I found out. Do a search.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

According to the tint meters I have 3.8% tint all around on my car. Is it a hassle to get pulled over? yea it can but it depends on where you live. I've been pulled over ONCE for it since I've owned the car (2003). Most cops won't be that large of a dick unless they have nothing better to do. Make sure you get it done on or around some hot days though so it will stick faster to the window, in case you want to roll them down cause you won't be able to for I think its 5 days...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

i have a black trans am and would like some opinions on getting the car tinted 20% or 35% all around
Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greenherb
i have a black trans am and would like some opinions on getting the car tinted 20% or 35% all around
20% man. Its dark but not super dark. I had 30% on my GTP and it wasn't nearly dark enough IMO.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 35 all around
Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35% all the way around . only cost me $50 frommy cuz on the low low

no problems ! fact is the car is a lot cooler on the inside . like parking in the shade

Quick Reply: Window Tinting