Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How To Use Vht Niteshade ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, should be ok. Not sure since you sanded the VHT, since i didn't do that on mine I'm not sure what will happen. Just make sure to do more light coats instead of heavy.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sweet. going to pick up clear coat now and headed to garage to finish up can't wait please keep your fingers crossed ill need it lol. And thank you for your help Big Mike and F117-HWK it has been a great help thank you again.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

No problem! Im sure it will come out great. Good luck.

Jason
Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Ok, here it is the side markers are on. They look awesome and the light still comes thru not as much though but thats fine. I am going to get brighter bulbs this afternoon should fix that. If not oh well looks good. I didn't clear coat them though i was wondering how long they would last with no clear coat. I skipped this step cause im worried that the clear will mess them up. i tried the dupli-color clear on a test piece and it dries very bumpy and after sanding it it looked bad to say the least. So is leaving the clear off the parts recommended and if so how long will the vht paint last. and can this be waxed? I know too many questions sorry guys but always get good advice here. Thanks again guys for the help.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't clear my side markers & they are still fine. I wouldn't get any wax on it though. And the duplicolor clear can be smoothed, but you have to wet sand it with ALOT of water & like 2000 grit. Then take a buffer to it & polish it up. It takes alot of work to cut & buff a clear coat properly.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Thats odd to hear about the clear being bumpy. I put alot of light coats on and they are smooth as glass with no sanding done to the clear. No one I have heard of said the VHT NEEDS the clear, its just kind of a precautionary, overkill kinda protection. Hope ya like it!

Jason
Old 06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I know wet sanding can be a bitch. my profession is an auto detailer for a huge G.M. dealership here in new england. i have been doing this for 11years this july. When using a new product such as vht niteshade paint i always research before i jump into the project. I did some test patterns over the week end with coat variations just for my own knowledge. anything over 5 coats on side markers is too much light comes thru ok at night but hardly during the day. duplicolor dies go down nice but i did 3 medium to heavy coats for the sandind and came out awesome. i used 2000 with water mixed with final inspection ti help it glad with medium pressure than i used 2.0 compound with a wool pad followed by 2.o compound with a yellow pad went over them with a ploymer sealant ps2000 and WOW what a shine and smoothe as glass alittle too much?? i think its well worth it! again thank you guys for help.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

No problem! Glad you like it. IMO one of the simplest, sleekest mods you can do appearance wise. Its just one of those little details that no one notices but looks 1000x better.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

I feel the same way. It might go unnoticed by most but everytime i took the car out this weekend i was like wow why did i wait so long to do this mod. Also at car shows other f-body guys will see it so well worth it and very pleased. Now waht to do next any suggestions?????? Iam all ears.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Overlays or stainless steel inserts really set off the car and they are simple obviously, same with tint. Dunno what all ya have done appearance wise.