Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?

The Raptor has 2 dials that are indicated with the #'s 1-9. Dial 1 is 1-9000 RPM and dial 2 is 1-900 RPM.

Eg: Dial 1@5 and dial 2@8=5800= 5,800RPM....easy right. no dip switch combinations, just straight foward settings. Also, it is smaller in diameter, see the pics. I outlined the major differences in my above post. Here are some pics of where I mounted mine (I previously had a Harlan mounted in the vent)......

Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the fact how easy it is to set it. But how easy is it to install it? Id like to put it in that pillar vent, but if its smaller, how is it going to fit? I dont want it to be moving around, is there any way to mount it in there? Or keep it stable? So I take it that since it has those dials on the back, that you dont have to read a big chart to set it? Are there any right ups on how to install one besides the one that is offered on there site? I ask that because its very long and I like to stay away from long instructions. Thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are referring to the Z06 writeup, I did that one. Seriously, the vette is a pain to install a shiftlight into.

The F-body is sooo much easier. Don't sweat the install.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

No, I wasnt referring to that. I was talking about the one that is in Acrobat on Raptor Peformance's website. When it comes to electrical work, Im stumped on that. Id like to get a thorough but fairly short write up on how to install it in a Camaro. (in the pillar vent) Thanks By the way, anyone running the Raptor in the pillar vent? If so, can you please explain how you got it to fit and post a clip or pic? Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

All you have to to is hook up three (3) wires. One for the ground, one to a key switchable hot wire and one to the tach wire coming off the pcm.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

My question is WHICH IS THE MOST ACCURATE???? I am tired of my car hitting the rev limiter before the tach gets to the 6600 limit(the tach usually reads 62-6300 when it hits the limiter).

Josh S.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club NA

To minivette: Can you be more specific where those 3 particular wires hook up to? Thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine in the center AC vent. I pulled the trim ring off that goes around the radio and tapped into the traction control button for power and ground. (My car doesn't have TC but the wiring is still there) The one other wire will have to be attached to the proper "pin out" at the PCM to read the tach signal.
On 99+ LS1 engines, the tach wire connects to the red 80 pin connector (one of the two, 80 pin connectors on the PCM), pin # 10, white wire at passenger side firewall in the engine compartment (farthest from the firewall).

**NOTE**

GM refers to the PCM 80 pin connectors as the "red" and "blue" connectors. This is because where they mate to the PCM, the plugs are colored. The colors cannot be seen once the 80 pin connectors are plugged in.

If you pull out the PCM a little, you will be able to see a rubber grommet in the firewall. Once you connect your the wire to the PCM wire, use a coathanger and push the wire through to the other side. Then snake it under the dash to wherever you decide to place your light.

TTGIM... the stock tachs are notoriously slow. That's why it appears that the lights are not coming on at the correct RPM.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im not quite sure that I understand the quote. I dont mean to be a ditz, but when it comes to electrical, Im not sure what the hell Im doing. Can yo reword what the quote means. (in your own words) Are there any pics on the web where it shows where everything goes? Thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a picture of the pinout for the PCM.
http://www.ls1.com/00pinpcm.htm
Find the #10 wire and put a wire tap onto it. That's all there is to it.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Im not quite sure that I understand the quote. I dont mean to be a ditz, but when it comes to electrical, Im not sure what the hell Im doing. Can yo reword what the quote means. (in your own words) Are there any pics on the web where it shows where everything goes? Thanks
You can come down and look at mine if you want, it's really really easy to wire up! Me personally I'd save the money and get the harlan, it will fit perfect where you want to put it and it works just perfectly!

AJ
Old 05-13-2003, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would rather pay a little more and have my light in a couple days (Raptor) than a couple months (Harlan). My 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club NA

So I would take off the 1st cover off (going from left to right; closest to passenger side fender) because thats where pin# 10 is located? Are the pins numbered or do I have to physically count? If so, the link that you gave me (Minivette) has 2 sets of pics of the pcm, which one is mine? (2000 Camaro SS) Thats where the tach wire goes? Then the other one is a ground, where does that one go? (anywhere I would assume, but what would be the best place in this case) Lastly, the wire that splices in with the pink wire on the TCS, does it necessarily have to go there? Will it cause any problems doing so? Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone running the Raptor in the vent on the pillar? Please post pics if so. How did you get it to fit in there just right if its smaller in diameter? Any suggestions how to get a good fit? Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 05:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

It seems that only 2K2CamaroSS, Diesel, and Minivtette have good things to say about the Raptors and the only ones to be running them. Who else is running the Raptor? Ive never heard of them personally, how long have they been around? What other things do they make or specialize in? Has there been any problems with these units? Are they worth the extra $25? So as for the Raptor goes, I dont have to read a big chart and flip switches to set it right? The Harlin requires that doesnt it? Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Raptor started shipping in Nov/Dec 2002 I believe. For now they only make shift lights (at least that's what it shows on the web page). I have experienced 0 problems with mine. I like the raptor because you can get different colors of housings and LED's. I just mounted mine on the a pillar so apperance was important. You don't have to remove the circuit board to adjust the settings. There are two dials that are easily access able that are rotated with a small screwdriver. One dial does 1000 increments and the other does 100. There are no charts to look at besides setting it for the correct engine.

Check this for all the info and more
http://www.raptorperformance.com/INS...20SETTINGS.pdf

Brian
Old 05-14-2003, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

Will you please post a pic of your light installed in the pillar? This is where I plan to install mine, thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

hehe, I mounted mine "on the A-pillar"
Like this

Old 05-14-2003, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

I ordered the Raptor yesterday, I hope I made the right choice. I got it with black housing and red LED lights.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?