Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wax for Black, PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Scammer Alert!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax for Black, PLEASE HELP

Ok, so generally i paint and have no part in buffing, but ou rporter quit and i am stuck painting and buffing aswell, so we got a black SRT8 that we painted Jet Black, and i am scheduled to deliver the car tomorrow, i will be done with the buffing around morning hours, but we always seem to have problems with blacks looking streaky and swirly, i need some wax i can get from auto zone or pep boys for a black SUV, what do you guys suggest, and whata re the steps to ussing it, i want a apply and wipe off with microfiber towel, please help
Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Meguiar's Gold Class does a great job and you can apply multiple coats. then there is always Meg's NXT for a really fast wax but no layers or the proffesional series waxes. i know that Mothers just released a new wax similar to the Meg's NXT but i haven't tried it. then i guess you could try the Turtle Wax ICE but i've heard mixed opinions on it.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Scammer Alert!

Ya i heard nothing but good about the Meg gold glass, now is this a one step liquid wax, paste wax or what, just apply let dry to haze and wipe off with microfiber? Whats the price range on it?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also try 3M's Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze for Dark Paint. From what I have heard and seen it is pretty awesome. I bought a bottle for my DD I just bought a few weeks ago. I have had nothing but great success using 3M products. Back to the glaze...I spent 3 hours using the P&C 7424, yellow pad and orange pad with the Perfect-It II rubbing compound. I ran out of time and energy to put the glaze on unfortunately this past weekend. However I was in awe of what I had accomplished with the P&C and cant wait till this weekend when I can apply the glaze. The car had so many scratches that I really didnt expect a whole lot but boy was I surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Michelle
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ricks99ls1
Ya i heard nothing but good about the Meg gold glass, now is this a one step liquid wax, paste wax or what, just apply let dry to haze and wipe off with microfiber? Whats the price range on it?
one step liquid wax or you can get the paste if you'd rather. apply and let it dry to a haze then wipe it off. can't recall price range. its not horrible i don't think. i think around $10 or so...but i'm not sure. i bought mine about 3 months ago so i can't remember.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Anything with the words 'turtle' and 'wax' on the bottle I will never use.

For my black car, I loved the NXT. It just didn't last long.
I have gotten spoiled recently though using Victorias Concours wax on my bird.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Scammer Alert!

awesome thanks alot guys, i went and bought the Meguires Gold class, and some microfiber towels, now should i hand wash or will the machine wash be ok before i use the wax?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Teching In

i always hand wash...but its up to you. personal preference i guess.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Every time I have used Gold Class it's been streaky. NXT might be a better choice. However, I'm a diehard Collinite fan now.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

so your a painter and you are using wax from an auto store??? shouldn't you be using certain waxes and glazes that are for industrial use only?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kmgsix08
so your a painter and you are using wax from an auto store??? shouldn't you be using certain waxes and glazes that are for industrial use only?

My thoughts exactly first time I read that. I re-read it a couple times to make sure I was reading it correctly . Alot of body shops use the 3M products like I use. Not sure why you'd want to use something at an autoparts store
Old 07-06-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Also try 3M's Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze for Dark Paint. From what I have heard and seen it is pretty awesome. I bought a bottle for my DD I just bought a few weeks ago. I have had nothing but great success using 3M products. Back to the glaze...I spent 3 hours using the P&C 7424, yellow pad and orange pad with the Perfect-It II rubbing compound. I ran out of time and energy to put the glaze on unfortunately this past weekend. However I was in awe of what I had accomplished with the P&C and cant wait till this weekend when I can apply the glaze. The car had so many scratches that I really didnt expect a whole lot but boy was I surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Michelle
please tell me you didn't take your bird out of the garage while you are waiting to put the glaze on and then follow it with some sort of sealant or carnauba..
Old 07-06-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ricks99ls1
Ok, so generally i paint and have no part in buffing, but ou rporter quit and i am stuck painting and buffing aswell, so we got a black SRT8 that we painted Jet Black, and i am scheduled to deliver the car tomorrow, i will be done with the buffing around morning hours, but we always seem to have problems with blacks looking streaky and swirly, i need some wax i can get from auto zone or pep boys for a black SUV, what do you guys suggest, and whata re the steps to ussing it, i want a apply and wipe off with microfiber towel, please help
if the paint isn't baked .. I wouldn't think you would want to wax it yet.

after your final buff, you can top it with Meg's #7 to give it some pop

if it is baked, then throw some Meg's #26 or some Mother's Pure Carnauba on it, if you ae looking for something to grab from the store ..
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gipraw
please tell me you didn't take your bird out of the garage while you are waiting to put the glaze on and then follow it with some sort of sealant or carnauba..
Huh??? Why on earth would I use carnuba wax?? I didnt use the glaze on the T/A....no need to as I wasn't refinishing the paint. I use Zaino to maintain it as I will on the honda once I get the paint on it to the finish I am happy with. What beef do you have with 3M?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Huh??? Why on earth would I use carnuba wax?? I didnt use the glaze on the T/A....no need to as I wasn't refinishing the paint. I use Zaino to maintain it as I will on the honda once I get the paint on it to the finish I am happy with. What beef do you have with 3M?
I have no beef with 3M. I have several of their products sitting on my shelves.

I was just responding to what you posted earlier.

I spent 3 hours using the P&C 7424, yellow pad and orange pad with the Perfect-It II rubbing compound. I ran out of time and energy to put the glaze on unfortunately this past weekend. However I was in awe of what I had accomplished with the P&C and cant wait till this weekend when I can apply the glaze.
I read that as you stopped after the Perfect-It II.. which would mean leaving your paint unprotected, which is why I mentioned using a sealant or a carnauba .. sorry if I misread ..

and, btw, there is nothing wrong with using a carnauba ..
Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Junkie

wait, so you painted a car, buffed it, and have swirls? sounds like you need to work on your buffing skills (no offense intended), rather than looking for a wax to cover the imperfections.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I have no beef with 3M. I have several of their products sitting on my shelves.

I was just responding to what you posted earlier.

I read that as you stopped after the Perfect-It II.. which would mean leaving your paint unprotected, which is why I mentioned using a sealant or a carnauba .. sorry if I misread ..

and, btw, there is nothing wrong with using a carnauba ..
It's ok. I stopped at the Perfect-It because I ran out of energy and time. I looked back at my initial thread and I did post as to my reason why I didnt finish. Today I am going to finish the car hopefully. I plan on wetsanding the whole car but mainly focusing on the rear portion that someone painted rather poorly as it has orange peel . Apparently the Honda was in a minor accident and some painting/repair work done half-***. Also I took the ugly dried up half gone pinstriping that was on and hope to get it to disappear. I plan on posting pics of the work. I just wished I'd taken a before pic of the hood but like I said I never expected the results I got from the P&C
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
wait, so you painted a car, buffed it, and have swirls? sounds like you need to work on your buffing skills (no offense intended), rather than looking for a wax to cover the imperfections.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Didn't see this tread right away but I noticed you wanted to use wax in a body shop. That is a big no no, you can't have wax near a freashly painted car. If you don't give the soulvents enough time to evaporate out of the paint it can cause major problems. If is is floating around the shop and gets on the body surface it could peel later. For the swirl problem on black cars 3M makes a newer product called Ultrafina SE in the perfect-it 3000 line part number 06068. Its blue and you have to use the blue buffing pad thats special for it. Not one swirl on a black car. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoatChzLS1
Didn't see this tread right away but I noticed you wanted to use wax in a body shop. That is a big no no, you can't have wax near a freashly painted car. If you don't give the soulvents enough time to evaporate out of the paint it can cause major problems. If is is floating around the shop and gets on the body surface it could peel later. For the swirl problem on black cars 3M makes a newer product called Ultrafina SE in the perfect-it 3000 line part number 06068. Its blue and you have to use the blue buffing pad thats special for it. Not one swirl on a black car. Hope this helps.
I got to check this blue 3M stuff out! My wife hates when I swear about swirls on my black t/a