Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

claybaring questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default claybaring questions

ok i picked up a mothers claybar kit from autozone, it has the lubricant spray crap, he claybar, then a wax to buff on and wipe off by hand.

when im lubricating a panel and using the claybar on it, it just seems to be too easy and not taking me very long. could this just be because i have nice clean paint for the most part and it doesnt need a lot of work.
i always hear about how people spend a few hours claybarring their car but it seems like i could do my whole car in an hour or so. am i doing something wrong?

also, when the dirt gets on the clay, its really hard to fold it to a clean spot, i feel like wherever i choose to use, im just rubbing an already dirty part of the bar on the body.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Your paint may just be in excellent condition. Make sure the car stays wet, and with lots of suds. When I clay I wash the car with dawn dish liquid and then go over it with the clay and new dawn sudsy water. What takes most guys a long time depends on how meticulous they are in going over every detail and taking no shorts. By the time I wash initially with dawn, clay the car with suds and hose on shower setting, re wash with my normal car wash, dry, polish with porter cable buffer and wax again with the PC, I'm looking at 6-8hr minimum. I'm very meticulous about my car and pay attention to every detail. I take my time to make sure I kneed the claybar internally to keep it fresh. You seem to be doing it correctly.....just take your time, and go over every piece of your car.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

spray the lubricant on a panel and rub over it with youre hand....if its smooth, than youre good...but if you can feel its rough, keep rubbing in straight line motions...most of the stuff you will feel will be near the bottom of the car from road grime and tar.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM

It does not take that long to do if you do it right. People have problems using the wrong lube or not enough lube.

Quick Reply: claybaring questions