Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

upgrading steering wheel

Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading steering wheel

ok I'm moving from a 98 camaro wheel to an 02 with steering wheel controls, can I use my horn (middle) piece and airbag from my 98 or is that different too?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The horn will work but you will need a new bag. If you want to actually hook up the air bag you will need to buy a bag from a 1997 chevy lumina. Otherwise the 02 airbag WILL NOT plug in.

Make sure you do enough research on the bags before you buy.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need the clockwork spring for steering wheel controls, the steering wheel, and the airbag module as stated abouve.

Then, you will need to run the four wires into your stock wiring. This is easy because every pin that you need is tapable at the back of the radio except for the radio controls pin because your car didn't have that. All the information for the pin out is in this fourm, too. Cake walk, huh?

If you want a pin for the radio harness with some wire on the back of it for the radio controls input pin I will sell you one.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the old steering wheel is much better than the newer one, thikker and just.. better looking
Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Thule
i think the old steering wheel is much better than the newer one, thikker and just.. better looking
Ya no kidding.

Are you crazy switching to the 2000+ steering wheel?

The 99 and lower is WAY nicer, if I ever bought a 2000+ id be switching to the lower years. Steering wheel controls with volume are

The lower years give a much better and smoother appearance.

Think about it.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackops22
Ya no kidding.

Are you crazy switching to the 2000+ steering wheel?

The 99 and lower is WAY nicer, if I ever bought a 2000+ id be switching to the lower years. Steering wheel controls with volume are

The lower years give a much better and smoother appearance.

Think about it.
Why would you even consider putting a 2000+ steering wheel in you car. They look like ****, and why in the hell would you want radio controls on your steering wheel its a Muscle car not a bently like WTF. Id seriously be rethinking that idea. steering wheels with controls on them =
Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could you not also.... well in my case change out the entire column to a 01-01 style and it should all plug up right and also the only wire you have to hookup away from the others (factory plug) is the blue radio wire from the steering column to the headunit steeing wheel volume wire. The reason im planning on switching out my entire cloumn in my 99, is the left clicker or highbeams and signals lever is all screwed up and column is scratched up alot, ignition loose,etc i could go on lol but i like the steering wheel look too. anybody on this idea i have?? then from what i have gathered on info all i have to do is get a blank chip key from my car's vats number and get it cut to the key design of the new cloumns key so the vats is ok and working correctly for my car.....
Old 07-22-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

All of these wheels suck. I got into an accident with my 99 and bent the **** out of the wheel. If you're a big/strong guy, dont even bother with these wheels, they just bend the **** out of themselves. /rant lol
Old 07-22-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

i like my 98 steering wheel its much smaller and cleaner
Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Well shoot I'll just stay with the 98, I figured steering wheel controls would be nice, but upon closer look they are indeed very cheap and cheesy looking. Ya lemme put it this way, my number one hobby is bodybuilding, number two is cars, and I broke my steering wheel in half on accident, they're pretty cheaply made I wish there was alternate without getting in trouble from the law and insurance for taking the airbags out and putting in a momo wheel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upgrading steering wheel