Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are the self-serve car washes safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go buy a nice mit and take it with you. From that point you should be fine. I wash my cars at a self serve EVERYTIME and my cobalt and camaro look flawless. Also take some simple green or super clean degreaser and spray your wheel wells and bottom parts of your car. It makes a huge difference.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
Just go buy a nice mit and take it with you. From that point you should be fine. I wash my cars at a self serve EVERYTIME and my cobalt and camaro look flawless. Also take some simple green or super clean degreaser and spray your wheel wells and bottom parts of your car. It makes a huge difference.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=20
Old 10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Ok, guys, what the crap is this? I went to the car wash last night and used the Rinse, Wax, and Spot Free Rinse. I thought the car just had water spots on it from last night, so I went there again and repeated.

Thats what happens when you go and not all of it is washed off (either soap or wax) I take my DD (also a black car) to those touch free washes when Im super lazy and a lot of times it will end up with water spots all over it and the spots pictured above are b/c when its rinsed it sometimes doesnt get all of the soap/wax off of it, mainly the spray on wax. Also what I have def. noticed with a touch less wash is that it doesnt get all the dirt off your car. Its basically just taking a power washer to your car and then spraying some soap on there, repeating, and then when done, you through a wind tunnel which of course only half *** dries your car and you end up with spots. Moral of the story- wash it yourself if possible. You wont end up with half the problems people talk about....scrathes, water spots, incomplete cleaning, etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not go to any self-serve carwash anymore. I always to one that I knew had a soft bristled horse hair brush. But my chrome wheels are scrathed to **** from the brush. Now I just use a microfiber sponge in my drive way.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by michaelg589
I do not go to any self-serve carwash anymore. I always to one that I knew had a soft bristled horse hair brush. But my chrome wheels are scrathed to **** from the brush. Now I just use a microfiber sponge in my drive way.
Its fine to go to a self serve car wash just don't use the brush ^^ Bring your own wash mitt and bucket
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
Thats what happens when you go and not all of it is washed off (either soap or wax) I take my DD (also a black car) to those touch free washes when Im super lazy and a lot of times it will end up with water spots all over it and the spots pictured above are b/c when its rinsed it sometimes doesnt get all of the soap/wax off of it, mainly the spray on wax.
Man, I never had this problem with the metallic teal '95 Z28 I had. I guess I just need to spend more time hosing off the soap then hosing off the wax with the low-pressure spot free rinse.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you should remove those spots asap... i think you should wash it/ clay it/ polish it/ and wax it! then you got yourself a brand new paint job!
black is a bitch to keep clean but its worth it!!

Quick Reply: Are the self-serve car washes safe?