Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cheap clay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheap clay?

I'm looking for some reasonably priced clay. The local car shops only have that Mother's package for like $17. I just want the clay, not your f*cking soap water and extra bottle of wax or whatever. So when I look online for just a clay bar (any brand) they're $15+ after shipping. I only clay one of my cars, and then only once a year, so if a bar can do 30 cars I don't care, it's getting thrown out after one use. Anybody know where I can get some cheap clay?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost all companies come with their own Spray Lube. The Meguiar's one has the smallest Clay Bar at around 60 Grams I believe. I forgot the name of the one I purchased but it is black with blue lettering and a goofy character on the front of it. Looks sorta like a blue gumby. I think it's called Clay Magic. It was cheaper than the Meguiar's one and cheaper than any other claybar I found on the shelf. The claybar was bigger, 80 Grams but came with a smaller Srapy Lube.

You could also try Tropi-care's Clay Bar. It is 100 Grams for 11.39. I don't know how much shipping is but with that massive bar, you could split it into two halves and be almost equivalent to Meguiar's Clay Bar. Use one up, throw it away and you gotta a brand new Clay Bar stored up for future use.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops. Instead of Meguiar's, I meant to say Mother's.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the clay magic, it was $8 compared to the Mothers at $17, got it on sale at Autozone, just watch the local papers for sales (this is usually a good time for detailing stuff to be going on sale as it's the end of the season in many areas of the US
Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can contact us at toll-free at (866)341-0050 or e-mail to steve@tropi-care.com.

We can sell you the bar separately(cool mild gray composition made by Auto Wax-the maker of Clay Magic) and you can make up your own clay lube. I usually use our car wash concentrate and distilled water. The bar leaves no difficult to remove residue from the surface once completed.

The more you buy, the better pricing we can offer.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

clay magic is $10 at autozone.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Can you use soapy water as a lube? Anyway I got the mothers kit at wal mart for $15, didnt seem bad to me so I got it. I didnt know autozone carried any other brands.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by giant016
I'm looking for some reasonably priced clay. The local car shops only have that Mother's package for like $17. I just want the clay, not your f*cking soap water and extra bottle of wax or whatever. So when I look online for just a clay bar (any brand) they're $15+ after shipping. I only clay one of my cars, and then only once a year, so if a bar can do 30 cars I don't care, it's getting thrown out after one use. Anybody know where I can get some cheap clay?
The lube that comes in the kit is not "f*cking soap water" as you put it, its a QD which is needed for the clay to not scratch the sh*t out of your paint. And you can't buy OTC clay bars by themselves unless you have a distributer of detailing supplies close to you. You can try soapy water but your results may vary. For most people this works fine, for some the clay starts to crumble and fall apart. Just get the claymagic kit. Its just the clay bar and a bottle of lube and its cheap. Although the Meg's kit does come with a nice microfiber towel.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was at TP Tools, and they have Mequires Professional Line, which has two different types of clay bars, mild and aggressive (I didn't pick up any, because I didn't know what the difference between the two was) by themselves.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've used clay magic before, but I had to order it. The local Autozones/Advance don't have anything other than Mother's, but maybe I can order online and pickup in store.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Teching In

I just use sculpting clay from the craft store. Its cheap.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ou885
I just use sculpting clay from the craft store. Its cheap.
Are you serious? You know they're not the same thing right? I curious though how did that work out for you?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Teching In

It seems to work fine. I was suggested to use it by someone from one of these message boards. Whats the difference in it and the ones from auto parts stores?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Honestly I couldn't tell you, I don't know anything about the composition of automotive clay compared to sculpting clay. I know I've read that they are not the same. I think of it this way, I wouldn't use plastic or metal polish on paint instead of paint polish, even though they are both polishes. I personally would not risk it, but hey if it worked for you that's cool I guess. Now imagine if it turned out they were the same thing, wouldn't that be some ****.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cooltc2004
I was at TP Tools, and they have Mequires Professional Line, which has two different types of clay bars, mild and aggressive (I didn't pick up any, because I didn't know what the difference between the two was) by themselves.

Agressive can and most of the time will mar the paint slightly .. not a problem if you are going to be removing defects anyway, but most hobbyists will NEVER have a need for agressive clay.

Don't use modeling clay .. it is silica based and wwill cause marring, not to mention it won't do near the job of contaminent removal that detailing clay will remove.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

I will try out the auto clay to see how it works out. Thanks for the clarification Gipraw

Quick Reply: Cheap clay?