Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Retrofitting projectors, need some ideas/assistance

Old 12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Retrofitting projectors, need some ideas/assistance

Got a brain teaser here which I can't seem to figure out. I plan on mounting some bi-xenon FX's in my 4x6 housing area. I have a plan of how I want to do it and I'm confident with it working out. I have purchased new headlight buckets and everything to cut what I need before I install it in the car.

What I need to find is someway to cover up the projector so it's safe from the elements and looks nice to boot. Take a look at the pic below and maybe you guys know where I can find the part I need. I am referring to the clear plastic cover that is shaped to accomodate for the protrusion of the projector lense.

Any idea on where I could even find just this housing or this cover??

I was also thinking of trying to make a plexiglass version of the cover but this will be tricky to pull off and make it look nice.

Thanks.

-brian
Old 12-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brian, i dont have any pics or drawings but when I wanted to retrofit e46s into my lt1 t/a I had my uncle fab up some metal housings that would fit in the bucket after some cutting and he left some room on them to play around with them to make a lense. I'm using the same things for my ls1 I've just been backtracked by my car having a huge hole in the oil pan and bell housing.

Anyways, there are a million different ways to go about this. Depends on the money, time, and looks you want. Personally I'm not going to care about how it looks when it's done as long as it works because its a pop up. But I remember somebody posting a link up in here to a forum where someone did a write up on how to make your own custom lenses and ****. (if someone could repost that it would be greatly appreciated because i thought i added it to my favorites but i didn't). That would be a start and you could mess around with things like that, and it's fairly cheap to do.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

I am planning on doing a similar retro as seen done on here on a LS1 TA. He used a piece of cut plexiglass in a 4x6 shape and more or less used that as his mounting apparatus of sorts. I am looking to do just about the exact same thing and I should be just fine pulling it all off. The only real tricky part is the protection of the projector lens I care about. Last thing I need is a stone chip to go ahead and put a crack or gouge in the lens.

My one idea I had was to use relatively thin piece of lexan and arc it in the shape you see above. Then make two well cut pieces of lexan in half moon shapes to cap off the sides. This would then be put on a sturdy plexiglass baseplate where it will be able to be squeezed in between where the trim ring holds the factory lights. I will gasket this so I hopefully won't get any debri or dust in these areas.

I have some used buckets I picked up so I can do this without needing to tear my car apart. I will most likely have to take a portion out of the back of the bucket. Once I get everything layed out, I can then installl it in the car. Hopefully I will get the look I'm looking for.

It's going to be interesting.

Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

If you are planning to use the stock Black plastic trim, you can either:

1: buy one of those e bay 4x6 headlights for about 25-30 bcks and use the lens out of it... just glue the lens from inside of that black plastic trim.

2: pick up sheet of lexan from Homedepot/lowes.. about 0.093" thick.. its like 5-10 bucks for 12x24... and just cut out square to cover the trim opening..

Now if the FX projector lens extends outside that stock plastic trim then:

1: buy sheet of lexan and a heat gun ($30 at homedepot). Find a round bottle (or anything like it) of about 4-5" diameter...with smooth surface... hold lexan sheet on to bottle (tangent).. using heatgun just start wrapping the lexan around it... you will get that dome shape... just cut out excess lexan and put it on..

2: make custom fiberglass trim that will extend more than stock (without hitting bumper when closing)... and use flat sheet of lexan in the front.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the tips. The FX projector is going to stick out past the front 4x6 lens. I have a few really interesting ideas along the lines of what you mentioned in your post. My wife to be is a packaging engineer that deals with this stuff all day long so we are going to make this interesting. Stay tuned. I plan on getting this done two weeks into the new year .

-Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrofitting projectors, need some ideas/assistance