Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID or similar headlights for 00 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HID or similar headlights for 00 Trans Am

Does anyone know where to get HID or similar headlights for a Trans Am?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ledgauges.com, there a sponsor
Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out the Lighting FAQ.
Its in the Hall of Fame sticky.
Its also in my sig.
Here is a link for convenience:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html
Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really can't make sense of the FAQ... sorry but it links to a bunch of stuff and I don't even know what they are talking about.

My TA low beams are way too dim for me, my camaro's old headlights were much brighter. Is there a a simple replacement that I can get just for brighter lights. I really want something that is reasonably priced and easy to install(plug & play)
Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Twigs
I really can't make sense of the FAQ... sorry but it links to a bunch of stuff and I don't even know what they are talking about.

My TA low beams are way too dim for me, my camaro's old headlights were much brighter. Is there a a simple replacement that I can get just for brighter lights. I really want something that is reasonably priced and easy to install(plug & play)
What year was your Camaro?

You can try Sylvania XtraVision bulbs which are brighter than their regular bulbs and they are available in the 4701/4703 size. They should be brighter than your current bulbs (depending on what you currently have, they may be much brighter), but they may not be the significant increase in output that you want. For about $10 a bulb you can try one and return it if you don't think its enough. They are available at AutoZone and other auto parts stores.

Also make sure that the bulbs are getting the full voltage that they are supposed to get. You can check with a volt meter. With the engine off, they should get close to 12V. With the engine on, they should get close to 14V.

Another option is to get or make a retrofit housing that uses a H7 bulb which has a higher output than the 4701/4703. EuroLights, AutoOptics, and Hella are some manufacturers that produce conversion housings. Some people prefer Hella over the others. I don't have any experience with either. If you search on here you'll find where to buy conversion housings (I think you may be able to call www.ledgauges.com to buy the housings separate from a kit. I don't know which housings they use though.). I also made my own at one point. You can read about that in the Lighting FAQ. www.ledgauges.com and others do sell HID kits that use conversion housings, but they typically produce glare and an uneven beam pattern. HID should be used in projectors or a reflector that was designed for it (very rare).

BTW, avoid the fake projector conversion housings on ebay. They are not real projectors. They are just a regular reflector housing with a glass hemisphere tacked onto the front. I don't think there are any in the 4701/4703 size anyway.

Last edited by VIP1; 01-07-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Bump. How goes it?

Quick Reply: HID or similar headlights for 00 Trans Am