Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painted My Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with sanding it down and filling in holes and such..... It is a lot of work, but as long as you are doing it, it is only time and a couple dollars in sandpaper/filler.

Old 03-09-2008 | 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
I agree with sanding it down and filling in holes and such..... It is a lot of work, but as long as you are doing it, it is only time and a couple dollars in sandpaper/filler.
That looks very nice! Did you just put body filler in there? How well does it seem to be holding up?
Old 03-09-2008 | 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes. Holding fine on the LS1 I did. This LS6 has about 150 miles on it, but looks great!
Old 03-12-2008 | 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said in my earlier post, if you are going to the extreme to paint your intake, sand those casting marks down and fill if needed and the final product is more than worth the time. Mine has been on the car for three years with intense heat from Road Racing and looks as good today as it did three years ago. Here is what mine looked like after I picked it up from the body shop with the prep needed to get it right.

Old 03-12-2008 | 10:58 PM
On The Tree

what kind of paint did you use to do the painting..... i was told duplicolor was a good coice in the 500 degree cans.
Old 03-13-2008 | 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1/4milerunnerZ28
what kind of paint did you use to do the painting..... i was told duplicolor was a good coice in the 500 degree cans.

My body shop used the same paint and process that they use for all body parts. No heat issues here.
Old 03-13-2008 | 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bene
I sanded that pebble finish out, sprayed 4 coats of adhesion promoter, then sprayed it w/ high filler primer, then base color,and finally clear coat it 3-4 times. I sprayed the casting marks with the high filler primer w/ multiple coats and tried to blend it in w/ 600-800 grit but still showed through. Looks like I didn't do enough.

Don't forget to use the adhesion paint promoter for plastics. Its a spray can also. Use it like its paint.
Where did you buy the paint?

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
Like I said in my earlier post, if you are going to the extreme to paint your intake, sand those casting marks down and fill if needed and the final product is more than worth the time. Mine has been on the car for three years with intense heat from Road Racing and looks as good today as it did three years ago. Here is what mine looked like after I picked it up from the body shop with the prep needed to get it right.

What color is the paint you used and where did u buy it?
Old 03-17-2008 | 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
What color is the paint you used and where did u buy it?
It is actually a color mixed by the body shop that did all the prep work and sprayed it, but very close to the Corvette Spiral Grey.
Old 03-19-2008 | 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

those all look very nice....i just painted my fast.....the day after i noticed the thread about how to sand down the plastic for a mirror finish.....looks so much better.....
either way i'm not too comfortable about sanding a 1000.00 intake...hah
nice work guys
Old 03-19-2008 | 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bene
I have a Pewter Z like yours but my theme is black and pewter w/ a little bit of chrome. There isn't any pewter rattle can color out there and I didn't want to color the intake black because its already black. With that being said, I opted to do it w/ Dark Shadow Grey w/ clear coat after that and this what it looks like... btw, I painted the fuel rail gloss black.
I am not arguing with you but i bought a can of pewter rattle can paint at AAP

Quick Reply: Painted My Intake Manifold