Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cutting out styrofoam stuff behind bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting out styrofoam stuff behind bumper?

Has anyone cut out the holes behind the grille on an LS1 camaro's front end?

I mean cutting out some of the styrofoamish stuff.. not sure how the front end is designed, but does it allow more air to the radiator / air box at all? and how hard is it to do?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Has anyone cut out the holes behind the grille on an LS1 camaro's front end?

I mean cutting out some of the styrofoamish stuff.. not sure how the front end is designed, but does it allow more air to the radiator / air box at all? and how hard is it to do?
Cutting the styrofoam will not increase air to the radiator or airbox. Those receive air from the air deflector located under the bumper. The windshield washer reservoir is blocking the front of the car from the radiator. Hence part of the reason the deflector is under the bumper in the 1st place. The only reason to remove the foam is if you have a front mount intercooler.

It does no affect the structure of the front bumper to cut/remove the styrofoam.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah to make that thing functional you would also have to cuss off the impact bar that sits behind the foam.... and that bitch is pretty thick. look over at the FI section to see what it looks like with out the foam in place
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
It does no affect the structure of the front bumper to cut/remove the styrofoam.
I was under the impression this is part of the front crash support. I'd personally be hesitant to alter the inner bumpers for a street car merely from a safety perspective. And if an insurance adjuster notices they're gone during a claim...
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Banned

i just cut out the holes behind the grille openings, just so they look cleaner. They are fairly open already i just trimmed around the outside. Just did that then misted them with some black, and that's it. Made a nice difference.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

just be aware that cutting into the foam (absorber) and or the reinforcement is a big safety no-no
anytime you weaken the front impact area you run the risk of air bags deploying or causing more extensive damage to the inner components upon minor front collisions that might not normally happen. fyi,, not trying to be a *****

Quick Reply: Cutting out styrofoam stuff behind bumper?