Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

No Front Plate States?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the cops in your area. I used to live in MA, which requires a front plate. I had an '88GTA for a few years, and I was NOT going to drill holes in front to mount the plate. I drove that car for THREE years w/out EVER getting pulled over in my town for it.
Of course my town is a medium sized town of about 100k people, and we had real work for the police to do (stabbings, shootings, drugs etc.)

On the other hand, one time I took a drive through the little farm town with more cows than people that's next to mine, I got pulled over (doing under the speed limit!) because a cop noticed the front plate misssing. I didn't get a ticket, he just told me to put it on the car. I'm sure he was sitting there all day and had absolutely nothing better to do.

My solution: stay out of that town.

Later, I sold the car to my brother, who also drove w/out the front plate for 2 years.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
Need more info on how this is being accomplished guys!
Simple... Know someone or have property in another state to get your vehicle registered & info sent to and your all good.

I did that for awhile until the people my car was registered to moved!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I live in rural Texas where cops think they are God. They love to harass me about stupid ****. In the past couple months, I've been pulled over once for doing 40 in a 35, once for doing 60 in a 55, once for doing 41 in a 35, once for no flp, once for no rear license plate light (while my rear license plate light was on and working), and another time for absolutely no reason whatsoever. These cops are bad around here, that's why I'm trying to do this legally.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I live in rural Texas where cops think they are God. They love to harass me about stupid ****. In the past couple months, I've been pulled over once for doing 40 in a 35, once for doing 60 in a 55, once for doing 41 in a 35, once for no flp, once for no rear license plate light (while my rear license plate light was on and working), and another time for absolutely no reason whatsoever. These cops are bad around here, that's why I'm trying to do this legally.
Sounds to me like they just enjoy giving you **** for having a better car.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

cali here and i's a law here . . . much like everything else lol i've gotten 1 ticket in the 3 years i've owned the car for no front plate and the major reason of the stop was my window tint.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, they're dicking with you. I have had no front plates on my daily driver SS for ~2 years now and no probs yet. In fact, most of the f-bodies in DFW that I see don't have a front plate.

I know the DPS troopers will pull you over for it though.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28
Why don't you just use zip ties to hold the plate on and take it off easily when you want to. I can feel your pain on not wanting to have a front plate, but its better than getting extra attention from the cops.
That's what I'm going to start doing once my billet grille comes in.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NJ requires one
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

harassed?!?! are u serious, u broke the law doing 40 in a 35, u broke the law doing 60 in a 55, u broke the law doing 41 in a 35, u broke the law with no front plate............sounds to me like they are doing their job. why do u think they watch you, its called driving like a moron. as to the rear light, follow him back to the station and show the top dog there that u went straight from getting pulled over to the station and then he'll be anwswering to his boss if ur light still works. other than that, dont bitch about cops doin their jobs.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
harassed?!?! are u serious, u broke the law doing 40 in a 35, u broke the law doing 60 in a 55, u broke the law doing 41 in a 35, u broke the law with no front plate............sounds to me like they are doing their job. why do u think they watch you, its called driving like a moron. as to the rear light, follow him back to the station and show the top dog there that u went straight from getting pulled over to the station and then he'll be anwswering to his boss if ur light still works. other than that, dont bitch about cops doin their jobs.
Is there anyone here that will disagree with me when I say that 5 mph over the limit is a generally accepted tolerance? Sure, technically, that is breaking the law, but it's certainly not dangerous when you're paying attention to the road. The FACT is... the safest speed on any road with traffic is the same speed as everyone else, and most people do 5 over. Shouldn't law enforcement be focusing on drunk drivers, drugs, rapists, etc? I thought it was "to serve and protect", not "to stalk and harrass". I am very much a law abiding citizen. Never drink and drive, never touch drugs, or anybody on them, never lie, cheat, or steal.

I'd put money on you being one of the jerk-off cops that likes to harrass people about trivial matters. If so, get off your high horse!

Also, you've never seen me drive, have you? I think that the FACT that I've gone 7 years and 220,000+ miles without an accident attests to my being a very safe driver. But I must drive like a moron because I frequently drive 5 mph over the limit.

So you know what? Right back at ya!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all, let me start off by saying, i checked out ur SS on ur site and it looks awesome, i like it alot. front plates do look like **** on our cars and i DO AGREE with you that all states shouldn't require a front plate. a police officer doing his job is not who to blame. blame your Texas gov't for that. I've had a few tickets before for speeding and tints, but never blammed the police because I was the one in the wrong. I realize i have a kick *** car, as do you but 1mph over or 50mph over, speeding is speeding thats why i left the speed for the track or dyno. they will find the slightest thing wrong with muscle cars just because muscle cars and younger people don't have the best stereotype there is. I also believe that 5 mph over is not a crime and shouldn't get you a ticket, but does "generally accepted tolerance" overrule the law?

I don't know, maybe coming from a police filled family, i see it a differant way, but when it comes down to it, MOST of the time, NOT ALL, the cops shouldn't have the finder towards them.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:16 AM
12 Second Club

I don't know, maybe coming from a police filled family, i see it a differant way, but when it comes down to it, MOST of the time, NOT ALL, the cops shouldn't have the finder towards them.
I think that's what it is. I also think you took his post completely wrong. He was just making a point that cops in his area are picky. BTW, I'm pretty sure you're breaking the law every time you go out after dark with those headlight covers of yours...
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

headlight covers are for carshows, never driven with on the street
Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Resident

First of all, let me start off by saying, i checked out ur SS on ur site and it looks awesome, i like it alot. front plates do look like **** on our cars and i DO AGREE with you that all states shouldn't require a front plate. a police officer doing his job is not who to blame. blame your Texas gov't for that. I've had a few tickets before for speeding and tints, but never blammed the police because I was the one in the wrong. I realize i have a kick *** car, as do you but 1mph over or 50mph over, speeding is speeding thats why i left the speed for the track or dyno. they will find the slightest thing wrong with muscle cars just because muscle cars and younger people don't have the best stereotype there is. I also believe that 5 mph over is not a crime and shouldn't get you a ticket, but does "generally accepted tolerance" overrule the law?

I never said that all cops are jerks, and that's not what I believe. I was making a point... not only are cops in my area picky, but they also seem to have their eye on me A LOT.

I can't even begin to explain to you on here how much I've been harrassed by the local police as of late, but suffice it to say, I'm considering a law suit about it.

I would never be angry with an officer for giving me a FLP ticket if I'd already been warned. I think it's pointless, but that law is obviously not the officer's fault. On the other hand, it is his choice to enforce a pointless law.

I've even considered a career in law enforcement, simply because I think I could do a much better job than some that are currently in place, but I decided I've had enough of working for the government frorm my time as a Marine.

I never complained about the tickets I was given for 10+ over the limit. Most of those were well earned... lol.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sucks for the OP to be pulled over after 3 days...

it took 2.5 yrs not running a front plate until i got stopped by a TX State Trooper last July driving on I-35 just south of Gainesville. He was in front of me atleast a good 1/4mi ahead with traffic between the both of us. He left the highway, not on a paved road, but through the grass shoulder onto the frontage road, and pulled a u-turn to go northbound. He passed me and in my rear-view mirror, he again, went through the grass shoulder, back onto the highway and pulled me over. Reason: NO FRONT PLATE. There was no way in hell he could have seen that i wasnt running one, until he pulled his little stunt.

I played dumb and said well the lady at the DMV said I didnt have to run a front plate since I had no front plate bracket. He was acting all Billy Badass, going on w/his powertrip, all the while i was watching cars traveling northbound on I-35 with no front plates. So I asked him why he pulled his little U-turn crap and chose to single me out, when there were all these other cars for him to pull over. I told him Im not stupid and that I was singled out on purpose. That shut him up real quick once he found out I saw every asshat move he made. He gave me a written warning and told me to get my front plate on my car. I had my lady on speakerphone the whole time, so she could hear just what exactly it was I was being stopped for and she couldnt believe just how stupid this trooper was being. Yes, I know I need a front plate, yes I know I was/am in violation of the law, and its a risk I take, but I refuse to drill into the front of my car. Here it is 10 months later and I have yet to put my front plate on and I havent been stopped since...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on covering the front plate on my Formula. I'm going to leave it on the car, but just put the plate filler on over it.

I did this years ago when I had my 98. That's the first thing I did to it actually, as soon as I got home from picking it up at the dealer. Never had a problem.

If I ever get stopped, I'll just whip out a Phillips and pull of the filler plate. "Sorry officer, I was recently at a car show and must have forgotten to take it off after the show".
Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
I'm curious though about registering a car in another state....won't you have to get it inspected in that state? When I moved here from PA in 2001 I couldnt keep my car registered there and had to change it to VA. Most states require you to register it within 30 days. Also insurance creates a problem I believe if it's registered in another state yet you reside and drive it in another. I could be wrong but my insurance in PA wouldnt insure it here in VA back then.
Depends where your "residency" is. I have Texas residency and have had my truck registered there since 2001. Texas requires a yearly inspection (like Va), but it's waived if the vehicle is out of state. But, the car initially has to be IN that state and inspected when registered.....thus my other car's are registered in Va as I bought them after I moved. My Camaro is registered in Alabama though. Another loophole as long as the car is actually in the state when registering it. (bought the car in Bama' in 2003)
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i thought tx just did away with the front plate law????
Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

did a search....http://www.mustangforums.com/m_78667..._2/key_/tm.htm
Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i thought tx just did away with the front plate law????
Not that I've heard. I think there was a bill ast September that didn't pass.

Quick Reply: No Front Plate States?