Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question on buffing pads...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on buffing pads...

I am in the process of detailing my car. I am using the PC 7424 with an assortment of products / pads.

My question is what is the best way to clean the pads after i am done???
For example, i have been using the Menzurna IP on an orange pad, i have finished using this combo, and i want to clean the pad for use on the next car i am going to do.

Or do you even have to clean the pads?

This if the first time i have used the PC 7424, and I'm getting great results , ill post pics when I'm done. I just want to make sure i take care of the pads correctly!!!

Thanks for any help.
--Mike
Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Teching In

I definitely clean mine after use. Usually I soak them in my wash bucket, squeeze them repeatedly, and then rinse them until they squeeze clear water. Be sure not to twist the pads, just squeeze, as you can possibly weaken or tear the pad.

You aren't using the orange pad as a finisher, right?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for reply, thats what i was thinking. Ill just clean and squeeze them dry.

No, Menzurna and the Orange pad is just the first step...
Next is Tropi-care swirl cutter on a white pad
Then the Tropi-care sealer on either a blue or a black pad.
I also have there liquid wax, not sure if i should use that as well, i guess we'll see when i get there...

Then it should be just about done with the exterior, minus the rims

Lots of work!!!

Thanks again
--Mike
Old 05-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Sounds good. Yeah, it is a lot of work, but worth it to me. I am a pretty die hard Zaino and Menzerna user, but I was thinking about a trial run of Tropi-care. Maybe this summer....on my wife's Commander LOL. (guinea pig )

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clean mine after each use and let them air dry. The wax applied on top of the polish will protect the polish from the elements longer. You won't believe the difference after you use the wax, especially on dark colored cars. Please post some pics after you finish
Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

I swear, almost every time i detail the car, i use something different...
I can honestly say that the menzurna / tropi-care stuff by far and away blows away anything else i have ever used. And the PC is a HUGE reason!!!

I'm almost done applying the first coat of the TC-3 sealant and the car looks awesome!!
I will probably go over it one more time then put a coat or two of the wax.
I could probably go faster if i didn't have knee surgery 3 weeks ago... Thats slowing me down a bit

I'll start a new thread with some pics.

Thanks...
--Mike
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hear about the surgury, but glad to heaer you're pounding through it. I think you'd be well served to try a finishing polish with the white pad.
Before it ran out, I used TC swirl cutter with an orange pad to remove swirls and finished with optimum polish with a white CCS pad. The optimun seemed to be a much lighter polish lending itself more toward finishing.

But to answer your question, you should definetly clean your pads after each use, especially if you plan on using them with a different product. I use purple power in a washing machine, or in a bucket while ringing them out by hand. Any APC, Simple Green, Poorboys APC, Greased Lightning, I've also heard of people using Woolite.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All of the Lake Country foam pads are machine washable. Hot water wash, with cold water rinse using liquid detergent. I have not had a single pad come apart with this cleaning method. Any dye color(this is not product residue) remaining on the pads after washing will have no adverse effect on future use.

How would you describe your surface correction after the Menzerna use compared to previous attempts?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
All of the Lake Country foam pads are machine washable. Hot water wash, with cold water rinse using liquid detergent. I have not had a single pad come apart with this cleaning method. Any dye color(this is not product residue) remaining on the pads after washing will have no adverse effect on future use.

How would you describe your surface correction after the Menzerna use compared to previous attempts?
Thanks for the info steve, ill throw em in the wash...

I used to use a random orbital buffer with just about every, off the shelf polish / wax you can think of. I was only using bonnets (foam, microfiber, you name it) to apply. It would do an ok job of HIDING scratches, and the more layers of wax i put on the "better" it was hidden. Which in turn i would wax it about twice a month.

It would look ok, till i stripped the car in the spring to re-detail, then there would be even more scratches, etc.

So i would say the biggest difference is that with the Menzura / orange, swirl cutter / white, is that i REMOVED most of the scratches. Using the sealant polish, and then some wax, HID most of what was left.

So i went from pretty much HIDING 100% of scratches using the old way...
To REMOVING a good 95% of them, and then HIDING a further 3%. And what's left needs to be touched up and wet sanded smooth.

And with your help and and advice, I'm very very impressed / happy to say the least!!!

Thanks...
--Mike

Quick Reply: Question on buffing pads...