Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Techniques for getting rid of paint dings...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techniques for getting rid of paint dings...

So the Firebird has some little dings and scratches from the previous owner (and a sad incident with some little hail pieces). Additionally, there's some touched up areas the previous owner did where the paint is a little blobbed up I was hoping to fix.

I ordered some paint and clearcoat online, but have seen tons and tons of different ways to apply. I was considering going the wetsand / layer thinned paint / buff / clearcoat / buff with rubbing compound route, but wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wet sand to remove the touch up paint from the area that is improperly applied. Wipe the area down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any leftover contaminants. Apply the paint in very thin layers via a toothpick by just touching it to the surface and letting the capillary action spread the paint into the chip. Allow to dry for 4-6 hours between application layers. Once the paint is above the level of the rest of the paint, wet sand it back down to level. Apply the clear in a small area if you want, but not necessary, just like you applied the paint. Wet sand it back down to level. Buff out with some cutting polish and protect with wax/sealant.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or if you only want to wait 15 min between coats, add proper catalyst and reducer to base. clear isnt necessary.

Quick Reply: Techniques for getting rid of paint dings...