Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing scratches from black paint??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing scratches from black paint??

I just bought an 02 Black WS6. It has been garaged all its life, so the paint is in excellent shape, but it does have some light clear coat scratches, probably from washing or drying with a dirty sponge/cloth. I have a Porter Cable and I have an orange pad and a black pad. I got the orange pad for removing scratches/swirls and the black pad for applying/removing wax/polish. My question is, what is a good swirl cutter/scratch remover that will cut these clear coat scratches out? I talked to Steve at Tropicare and he said that since the F-Body has such a hard clear coat, I would need something a little heavier than the TC-8 swirl cutter. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Meguiar's Scratch-X, but I hear its a little heavy for what I need and it might take off quite a bit of clear coat. Is this true about the Scratch-X? After removing the scratches, I will follow up with a light polish and a coat of Tropicare XP sealant. Thanks for the help fellas
Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm on board... I need this done to but I have no exp. with the PC. I will prob buy the PC for my bday
Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Menzerna Intensive Polish. I also suggest going back over that with a white pad and Menzerna Final Polish
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Brian. I was leaning towards the Menzerna IP, but I wasnt sure whether or not it was worth the $25 over Meguiar's Scratch-X which I already have. I guess Ill give the IP a whirl, and I may go ahead and grab a quart of the FP as well. Ive already decided on Tropicare XP for a sealant. I was wondering if there were any over-the-counter products that were good at removing scratches/swirls. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raise
Thanks Brian. I was leaning towards the Menzerna IP, but I wasnt sure whether or not it was worth the $25 over Meguiar's Scratch-X which I already have. I guess Ill give the IP a whirl, and I may go ahead and grab a quart of the FP as well. Ive already decided on Tropicare XP for a sealant. I was wondering if there were any over-the-counter products that were good at removing scratches/swirls. Any ideas?
Meguiar's has some over the counter stuff at select auto parts store. Can never remember which # is which though.

MIP doesn't even compare to scratch-X. I don't even see what good people see out of that stuff. I've tried it before and couldn't get anything to work. If you have stubborn swirls, you might want to try Menzerna Super intensive polish as well
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just bought an 02 Black WS6. It has been garaged all its life, so the paint is in excellent shape, but it does have some light clear coat scratches, probably from washing or drying with a dirty sponge/cloth. I have a Porter Cable and I have an orange pad and a black pad. I got the orange pad for removing scratches/swirls and the black pad for applying/removing wax/polish. My question is, what is a good swirl cutter/scratch remover that will cut these clear coat scratches out? I talked to Steve at Tropicare and he said that since the F-Body has such a hard clear coat, I would need something a little heavier than the TC-8 swirl cutter. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have Meguiar's Scratch-X, but I hear its a little heavy for what I need and it might take off quite a bit of clear coat. Is this true about the Scratch-X? After removing the scratches, I will follow up with a light polish and a coat of Tropicare XP sealant. Thanks for the help fellas
We get many inquiries such as this and orders from dark color F-body and other owners. First of all, it requires the use of machine attention such as the Porter Cable buffer to start. Many of the blemishes described or seen on the forums are deeper spider webs or spider scratches and can only be removed by machine buffing. First timers and novices need not fear the Porter Cable's capabilities. It will become your best friend once you learn to use it.

Regarding polishes, our Swirl Cutter was designed for use to remove ultra-fine lines from the finish especially holograms inflicted by high speed rotary polishers. Deeper lines inflicted from washing, drying and surface detailing may require the use of more aggressive polishes. Menzerna works quite effectively in removing these blemishes. The Intensive Polish ($25.99) will give you results on softer clear coats but may require more time and patience on harder clears. The Super Intensive Polish at $39.99 was specially formulated for use on these harder clears and will give you quicker response compared to IP. Recently we have also developed and released our new Swirl Cutter Plus($26.99 on sale now) for use on these more stubborn scratches.

Remember to use code "10offTC" on all orders over $50.00 through July and save 10%.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Steve this is Jamie. Im the one who has been talking to you for the past couple days. Im really concerned about buying the IP only to find that I need the SIP. I have already decided on the XP Sealant. I just want to make the right choice on choosing a cutting polish. If it was a matter of $8-10 I would be worried about it, but the IP is $25 and the SIP is $40, so Im sure you can understand me wanting to make the right choice the first time around. Steve, what would be a good polish to use in between the IP and the sealant with the white pad?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Steve this is Jamie. Im the one who has been talking to you for the past couple days. Im really concerned about buying the IP only to find that I need the SIP. I have already decided on the XP Sealant. I just want to make the right choice on choosing a cutting polish. If it was a matter of $8-10 I would be worried about it, but the IP is $25 and the SIP is $40, so Im sure you can understand me wanting to make the right choice the first time around. Steve, what would be a good polish to use in between the IP and the sealant with the white pad?
Once you would see the response from the SIP/orange pad, it will justify the extra expense and time savings. It provides excellent results on these harder clear coats and you will be satisfied with the effort.

After completion of the SIP, any micro-marring or resulting fine haze can be eliminated with the TC-8 Swirl Cutter using your white pad.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
Once you would see the response from the SIP/orange pad, it will justify the extra expense and time savings. It provides excellent results on these harder clear coats and you will be satisfied with the effort.

After completion of the SIP, any micro-marring or resulting fine haze can be eliminated with the TC-8 Swirl Cutter using your white pad.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Well, I guess Ill just have to wait until next payday to afford that stuff . In the meantime, I guess I could go ahead and order the sealant and accessories I need (pads, applicators, bonnets, etc). I will call you later on today to place my order. By the way Steve, how many times would you say the bottle of sealant would do my car (Black 02 WS6)??

Quick Reply: Removing scratches from black paint??