Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Clay bar...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I daily drive my Formula, so I try to do it once everyother month. Its probibly excessive, but I'm always taking a lot of dirt out of the paint when I do it.

Clay baring a car is pretty easy to do. Just make sure the surface of the car is wet with the detailing spray that will come in the kit (both mothers and meguiars comes with it, the Zaino claybar will not come with an applicator spray, but thats no big deal.), take your time, and keep the clay bar clean.

You will be suprised at all the stuff that can come out of the paint. I did a C6 Z06 about 2 weeks ago, thought it looked pretty clean too from the beginning. It was garage kept, but driven often. I couldnt believe all the stuff I got out of the paint and how much better it looked after I got done.

Its well worth the money (meguiars and mothers clay bars are about $20 each), and can really clean up your car.

Good luck

- Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

twice a year...but i only got about 1000 miles on her this year
I do it when i pull her out of storage and again before she goes back in.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I daily drive my Formula, so I try to do it once everyother month. Its probibly excessive, but I'm always taking a lot of dirt out of the paint when I do it.

- Mike
brother, these cars all about being excessive
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of polish and wax would you guys recomend? I am here at work on the Tropi Care site and about to order the clay magic kit. What else should I get at the same time?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so you use the quick detailer to keep the surface wet, and just rub the clay on it? Lightly or firmly or what? Circular motion? I just want to know what im doing before i go to do it haha.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro396
so you use the quick detailer to keep the surface wet, and just rub the clay on it? Lightly or firmly or what? Circular motion? I just want to know what im doing before i go to do it haha.
Agreed. I'm trying to order everything at once, including wax, and hopefully get this **** done on Sunday after I pull out my tb.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Usually when I do it, the process goes like this:

Wash with soap, mitt, and water, rinse, dry
Claybar
Polish
Wax
x2 on that process, all meguiars and if you have a dark color car, red, black, maple red, blue, etc. the polish is almost necessary

I always feel pretty pumped seeing the end result
Old 09-24-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

For pewter would I need polish? Or just claybar, then wax? What is a good, reasonably priced wax?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The Clay Magic kit directions are easy to follow and pretty straightforward.

After completion of the clay process on the paint and glass, lightly wash and rinse to remove the clay lube before drying completely.

To deal with light swirling and fine scratches, you can use the TC-8 Swirl Cutter. Minimal results by hand on just the lightest blemishes. Using machine methods such as the Porter Cable buffer will show real improvement. For deeper scratches, try Menzerna SIP or Tropi Care Swirl Cutter Plus.

For last step protection, you can select either the TC-2W "Crystal White" Carnauba Creme or the TC-3 Sealant xP on lighter colors such as your avatar. Feel free to contact us with any questions at toll free (866)341-0050 or steve@tropi-care.com.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
The Clay Magic kit directions are easy to follow and pretty straightforward.

After completion of the clay process on the paint and glass, lightly wash and rinse to remove the clay lube before drying completely.

To deal with light swirling and fine scratches, you can use the TC-8 Swirl Cutter. Minimal results by hand on just the lightest blemishes. Using machine methods such as the Porter Cable buffer will show real improvement. For deeper scratches, try Menzerna SIP or Tropi Care Swirl Cutter Plus.

For last step protection, you can select either the TC-2W "Crystal White" Carnauba Creme or the TC-3 Sealant xP on lighter colors such as your avatar. Feel free to contact us with any questions at toll free (866)341-0050 or steve@tropi-care.com.
Well now that you answered my questions, I'm going to finish filling out my order online lol. How does the swirl cutter work? I have scratches, and would like to fill them in. Should I call you guys real quick to ask these questions? Thanks for the help though.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackodium
Turtle Wax Liquid Clay bar works the best.!!!!!
Actually in all honesty it works the worst... you just cant tell cause your car is white...
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done my "Garage Ornament" twice with Mothers.

Since Tropi-Care has free shipping I may have to try their stuff out sometime.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro396
If you buy the Meguiars/Mothers kit, it already comes with a spray detailer, so you spray that on the car so its will be nice and wet/slippery. I like to work in a 2ft X 2ft area at a time. You can either go up and down, or side to side depending on the area your working on. You dont have to put much pressure on it at all, just let the claybar do the work for you. Its pretty easy and streight forward. Then after you are done, take a microfiber towel and wipe off all the detailer spray/residue.

- Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSquid
Actually in all honesty it works the worst... you just cant tell cause your car is white...

I didn't want to say it earlier, but I agree...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

I have tried a few different clay bars, and I have figured out that Automagic makes the others look bad. The automagic held up a lot better for me than others. Their body shine is amazing. Their paste wax also worked well. I used gold class meguairs paste wax on my buddy's black T/A and it was amazing. http://www.fastlouis.com/forums/view...p?f=25&t=68958

The paint was in really bad shape before we did anything to it.

3M makes some stuff called hand glaze, that fills in a lot of light scratches and swirls. It works pretty well before waxing.

The wheels were just sprayed with hot rims cleaners, and the tips were just me trying out some polish I bought at a car show. Clay baring a car is very necessary to do before a wax job. You don't have to work in swirls. Just get an area nice and wet with the clay lube and keep rubbing until you don't hear friction!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DSkyles
I have tried a few different clay bars, and I have figured out that Automagic makes the others look bad. The automagic held up a lot better for me than others. Their body shine is amazing. Their paste wax also worked well. I used gold class meguairs paste wax on my buddy's black T/A and it was amazing. http://www.fastlouis.com/forums/view...p?f=25&t=68958

The paint was in really bad shape before we did anything to it.

3M makes some stuff called hand glaze, that fills in a lot of light scratches and swirls. It works pretty well before waxing.

The wheels were just sprayed with hot rims cleaners, and the tips were just me trying out some polish I bought at a car show. Clay baring a car is very necessary to do before a wax job. You don't have to work in swirls. Just get an area nice and wet with the clay lube and keep rubbing until you don't hear friction!

3M Imperial line. Awesome products as well. I buy 'em by the gallon.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

I just placed my order in for tropi-care, and can't wait to get it in. I'm wondering how to do this though...I took off the side moldings last night, and got off what I could of the damn double sided tape, but now I still have more, with the residue. Should I wash it, and just use some elbow greese to get it off, or will I have to resort to clay bar? I would like it clean by tomorrow night when I go on my weekend trip. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clay bar...