Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow into Reverse/First

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow into Reverse/First

I have been lurking on this site for a few years but only recently picked up an LS1 car. So here is my first technical question.

I have a '99 WS6 that has always been stock other than the wheels/tires/brakes. I know both of the two owners who even kept the light bulb receipts. I have already replaced the transmission mount and from doing a search here, it looks like I may have a transmission problem instead of u-joint or driveshaft. Here's what happens. Get in the car, start up, foot on the brake, put it in reverse, hesitates for a second, then clunks into gear, back up the car, slide to neutral, put in first, hesitates for a second, then clunks into gear. Does NOT clunk at any other time, not over bumps, braking, acceleration, shifting, down-shifting. Sometimes I forget and move it from reverse to first and give it a little gas before it has clunked into gear and the clunk is much worse that you can feel the whole car jerk.

One of the threads from my search suggested input shaft. Any better ideas before I go through a transmission build that may be avoided?