Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with tailshaft info!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with tailshaft info!!!

Will be installing my performabuilt/stall soon. I know I have to reuse my stock tailshaft and i wanted to know if there is any bearings/etc that need to be replaced in it. I capped my cutout for the first time in months and it sounds like metal on metal in that area( i know it is.. the fluid was metallic grey when last change, shaft has a ton of play)
Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You will of course need to change the rear seal , But also if the yoke feels loose "there should be a little play, in the tail housing you may need to replace the tail housing bushing.
If you need one let me know and I will send you one,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably will need one. Its my DD and i will be doing the full swap and tune in one day. At idle in gear you can hear something grinding in that area and at 55 mph you can hear it bouncing around in that area, and when coasting and reapplying the gas you can hear something grinding and bouncing around. Usually have the cutout open so I can hear/feel anything, but damn it feels horrible. You can move the output shaft a lot. I went to a 700r4 we had laying around and it is loose but much tighter over. The brand new performabuilt without the tailshaft is tight as hell.