Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do i have left?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long do i have left?

My 94 formula's 4l60e has been slipping in second for some time. The other night i was pulling out onto the highway and it jerked and made a loud clunk.
It started blowing out fluid so i brought it back home and left it.

I checked it out yesterday and it blowed all the fluid (about 4 quarts) out of the dipstick tube. I cleaned all the fluid out of the engine compartment and refilled it. Now all i have it first and third and reverse. It will go, but im not sure how long. When it jerked it also broke the tranny mount.

Anybody have any idea what may have happend?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
My 94 formula's 4l60e has been slipping in second for some time. The other night i was pulling out onto the highway and it jerked and made a loud clunk.
It started blowing out fluid so i brought it back home and left it.

I checked it out yesterday and it blowed all the fluid (about 4 quarts) out of the dipstick tube. I cleaned all the fluid out of the engine compartment and refilled it. Now all i have it first and third and reverse. It will go, but im not sure how long. When it jerked it also broke the tranny mount.

Anybody have any idea what may have happend?
It will not last very long, I would not risk driving it especially if you have fluid coming from the fill tube. If the oil get on a hot catalytic converter you could have more severe problems.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing that i dont get is why is it not blowing fluid out anymore?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you were slipping in second the transmission temperature was getting pretty hot. Also the transmission fluid additives breakdown and can cause foaming and other problems. You are no longer slipping in 2nd and generating as much heat and you replaced about 35% of the trans oil. This will help the expulsion concern for a short time. As for the other it sounds terminal.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I know i cant fix it i just hope it lasts about another week.