Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransGo HD2 Kit Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
The one I got costed about $125 and it's a transgo. The 1-2 shifts kicks me in the *** everytime and 2-3 shift i feel but not as much while 3-4 shifts is smooth. I like the way it feels and I'm glad I got the shift kit done with my stall. Plus, when I ordered the vig stall from thunderracing, they threw in the shift kit as a package deal.
If you got it form Thunder Racing, it's likely the standard TransGo shift kit and not the HD2 model.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1-2 shifts kicks me in the *** everytime and 2-3 shift i feel but not as much while 3-4 shifts is smooth. .
I set mine up to where the WOT 2-3 will bang your head on the seat
Probably end up blowing the snap ring out of the drum one day, but I also upgraded the 3-4 clutch when I put the kit in it, so who knows.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

You can change line pressure with tuning making your shift more firm. My tuner did it but he said you have to be careful not to increase it too much otherwise you run into problems.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DSkyles
You can change line pressure with tuning making your shift more firm. My tuner did it but he said you have to be careful not to increase it too much otherwise you run into problems.
Yea, when I got my dynotune I made it a special point to leave the line pressure stock. We dropped the shift times but I've heard from sponsors not to change the line pressure with even a race build, let alone a stocker. I'd be uncomfortable messing with line pressure as I've heard nothing but bad things.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Yea, when I got my dynotune I made it a special point to leave the line pressure stock. We dropped the shift times but I've heard from sponsors not to change the line pressure with even a race build, let alone a stocker. I'd be uncomfortable messing with line pressure as I've heard nothing but bad things.
I wouldn't feel comfortable if it was anyone else. If anyone has heard of Keith McCord he's a great tuner located in St. Louis. He is all about maximizing performance, yet being as safe as possible. He has done a few write-up's for engine builder's magazine. He also helps gm and ford with tuning, etc. when they run into problems.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got it form Thunder Racing, it's likely the standard TransGo shift kit and not the HD2 model.
Yes, that's right. That's what I was saying. HD means heavy duty right?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Resident

Yes, that's right. That's what I was saying. HD means heavy duty right?
I think so. Hell, is does in pretty much every other application so why not this one? "Heavy Duty" as in as in as "heavy duty" as a 4L60E could possibly with with all stock parts
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Choco, it's best to install this kit then fine tune thru the computer for shift feel. The kit is designed to repair problems in the trans and increase durability and is not truely a performance shift kit, per say. If you did not rebuild the trans, I wouldn't make the shifts too firm as the reverse drum could break and you will lose 2nd, 4th, and reverse, and send metal thru the unit, or roll the sprag, for instance. You can make the shifts just firm enough to get a little rubber by tuning the computer. The kit is designed not to shift too firm. Drilling the holes bigger can make a difference in firmness, but the timing will be affected as clutch clearances and type would have to be set for this. There are good sponsors here when you're ready to do the whole ten yards that can walk you through this process. Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Dropping trans shift times in the ECM and installing a kit is not going to overcome the 100% Torque Management I assume you still have in there. You can wish for hard shifts all you want from trans mods, but the real story is the engine timing being cut during shifts by way of TM that is making it feel "soft". I've data logged my car going from 24 total to -10 total timing during shifts before I backed it off 50% with HPT. (no not, subtracting 10 from the total, I mean -10 total, or under timed if you will)

I bought this kit a few days ago to help extend the 65Es trans life behind the Circle D 4C thats going in. I pulled the trans out today and will be tackling the kit tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Dropping trans shift times in the ECM and installing a kit is not going to overcome the 100% Torque Management I assume you still have in there. You can wish for hard shifts all you want from trans mods, but the real story is the engine timing being cut during shifts by way of TM that is making it feel "soft". I've data logged my car going from 24 total to -10 total timing during shifts before I backed it off 50% with HPT. (no not, subtracting 10 from the total, I mean -10 total, or under timed if you will)

I bought this kit a few days ago to help extend the 65Es trans life behind the Circle D 4C thats going in. I pulled the trans out today and will be tackling the kit tomorrow.
TM is totally removed from the 1-2 shift and it's hardly harder than stock although it is a lot crisper. I left it stock on the 2-3 and the 3-4 shift in order to preserve the 3-4 clutches since both those shifts use them.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Banned

TM is totally removed from the 1-2 shift and it's hardly harder than stock although it is a lot crisper. I left it stock on the 2-3 and the 3-4 shift in order to preserve the 3-4 clutches since both those shifts use them.
I disagree. I'd do (and have done) everything to apply 2-3 as tight as possible. Of course I also took the trans apart and had the clutch in my hands.

Leaving any amount of TM in is going to hurt performance at some unpredicted point.
Shift kits and TM do not belong in the same car IMO.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
If you did not rebuild the trans, I wouldn't make the shifts too firm as the reverse drum could break .
I think you mean the reaction shell? Never heard of reverse drums breaking.

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
There are good sponsors here when you're ready to do the whole ten yards that can walk you through this process.
Good luck on that.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I think you mean the reaction shell? Never heard of reverse drums breaking.

Good luck on that.
When the sunshell goes, it can take out the reverse drum. Although it didn't break the reverse drum, it sure did mangle it.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
When the sunshell goes, it can take out the reverse drum. Although it didn't break the reverse drum, it sure did mangle it.
If the reaction shell fails and takes out the rev drum, common sense tells me to upgrade the reaction shell.

First off there is no upgraded reverse drum, and if there was, and you used it with a stock reaction shell, the reaction shell can still damage the drum correct?

So the answer is upgrade the reaction shell. And run a stock reverse drum, you'll never break it.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

the TG SK is a fine product designed to fix a few short comings in the tranny....i have put TG SK's in all my cars with 700r's or 4l60e's....i have never been intimindated by a auto tranny and neither should you.....i even rebulit my 700r on my living room floor with many upgraded parts....for the squimish i recommend getting a ATSG manual so you know where everything goes in case you get lost.....the old TG SK's came with install videos...but dont anymore.....they do have a generic video online you can watch tho........just remember a SK will not save a worn out tranny...i think thats where they get a bad bad rap when some one installs one on a 150k loose goose and it blows it up the next day......it surely was not the SK fault....if you can change out a cam.......install a manifold....you can do a shift kit
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Wow thats one hell of a deal you got on that install. I'd drive to philly for that one.

Quick Reply: TransGo HD2 Kit Impressions