Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque conv. & pump noise before installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque conv. & pump noise before installed

I have my 4l80 tranny on the bench built ready to install, and i stick the torque converter in ,And when i turn it ,the pump gears are binding and are hitting the inside the pump housing. I took the pump apart and . i push the inner gear up they don't touch the off set divider housing but if i pull the inner gear down it hits the divider. Is it normal for the torque converter installed with out the support of the pilot being centered in the crank shaft to bind the pump gears.Or do i need a new pump or gears or what.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I have my 4l80 tranny on the bench built ready to install, and i stick the torque converter in ,And when i turn it ,the pump gears are binding and are hitting the inside the pump housing. I took the pump apart and . i push the inner gear up they don't touch the off set divider housing but if i pull the inner gear down it hits the divider. Is it normal for the torque converter installed with out the support of the pilot being centered in the crank shaft to bind the pump gears.Or do i need a new pump or gears or what.
No it is not normal for it to bind. Did you replace the bushing, gears or pump? Check for wear on the divider and the gears.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

I did change all the bushings in the trans. The pump looked new in side , no scaring at all, The pump gears look new also.I did not replace the pump or gears. The trans is a 04 model. Im going to stand the trans on it end tomorrow and install the torque conv. and see if the pump gear rub. I wish i could find a pic. of a pump brake down and show you were its exactly rubbing at.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

This is were it hitting, Soory about the pic. Its the best i can do in short amount of time.lol.
If i push the gear UP it hits, but if i pull the gear DOWN it dont hit. As it is in the pic.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pump gear should be a fairly tight fit with very little movement.