Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift points and neutral feel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shift points and neutral feel

Ok , I dropped the pan and changed fluid and filter and their was no metal shavings. I do not know much about Auto's , but I have been trying to read up on them. On partial throttle, occasionally the car with free rev, then engage again once I give it gas.

Now, I was told this was a built tranny with a stall. It feels like it has a stall , and the 1-2 shift is hard, and that is the only hard shift. So in that sense, it feels like it has a shift kit in it. (If it shifted hard on every gear that would just lead to raised line pressure right?).

Anyways the car shifts at 6500, it is supposed to have 3.42 gears , but I am unsure if these are stock or not.

All of these things I am told could be the cause of the high shifting.

So my question is, how can I manually adjust shift points? I read that you can adjust the shift lever arm, or something else, but their is no writeups.

On my problem with the car free reving on light throttle (which only happens occasionally). I read that the TC , on light throttle uses the TCC to keep the car moving, and that this could be the cause of it. I also read that their is a wire that controls this , so where would this wire be? How would I check it? I also heard that a tune could fix this, or it could be a 3-4 clutch pak.

Either way, before I spend alot of my money, I would like to try these little things first so could someone please help a noob.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

sounds like you have a loose stall. and sounds like your feeling the TC lock up. its prolly supposed to drive like that. One easy way to check is while your driving press the brakes and that will unlock the TC. Cruise at a steady speed and tap the brake with your left foot and the TC will unlock. If this feels the same as what your describing as freewheeling it is normal.

as far as adjusting your shift points. the only way to do this is with a tuning program.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Well it will be at like 3500 then jump to 4500, the it magically corrects itself. Its really hard to pinpoint when it does it, because I can drive it 70 miles that day and it will not do it. The I might be pulling out of a gas station and it does it. A lose stall sounds better than a bad stall though! I guess I better read up on that.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds lik ur tranny is going
Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Tell me how that sounds like my tranny is going?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds to me more like your converter is just unlocking, I would get a scanner or tuner on it and watch the TCC commands when this happens that will give you nad answer and it may be normal

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pooker
Tell me how that sounds like my tranny is going?
to it sounded like it could of been his tranny slipping i know mine would over rev then finally grab then finally it just stoped shiftting