Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplate? Stall? what's this ticking!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboy t/a
yea get that checked real quick because i had the same problem with mine and two of the three bolts were loose and one of the bolts ended breaking off while i was driving. screwed up the flexplate too. i am currently in the prosess of putting in the trans back in the car also first time i takled a trans problem.

also if you end up taking your car to one of those independent shops make sure when you get it back that everything is tight because i got screwed over bad, had tourque arm bolts come loose, bolts missing, rounded out bolts, and loose converter bolts
I just checked mine today and thats what happened one of the bolts is completely broke, one was bent and loose and the other one was just loose Now I have to take it back out and hope it didnt do anymore damage. And go figure I have 2 papers due this week and a test Looks like some late nights and maybe some vactation time from work for me
Old 02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01trans am
I just checked mine today and thats what happened one of the bolts is completely broke, one was bent and loose and the other one was just loose Now I have to take it back out and hope it didnt do anymore damage. And go figure I have 2 papers due this week and a test Looks like some late nights and maybe some vactation time from work for me
tough break, man. seems like cars always wanna take a **** at the worst times. good luck!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
tough break, man. seems like cars always wanna take a **** at the worst times. good luck!
Yeah they do. I'm just glad I figured out what it was and hopefully saved it before it caused serious damage. Just have to wait and see. At least I know my way around down there and it will be alittle quicker.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Before you go and replace the trans/verter, check the flexplate bolts and converter bolts. Had a problem with a friends car that made the same noise.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Before you go and replace the trans/verter, check the flexplate bolts and converter bolts. Had a problem with a friends car that made the same noise.
yeah i plan on doin that if the base auto shop isn't closed for president's day. if it is i'll take it in on tuesday to look at those two suspects in particular. thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

No problem. Post up once you find out what the issue is.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will do. i'm off for the next couple days, so probly wednesday is the next time i'll be on.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any inputs on Proline's 2500 powerglide and how it compares to performabuilts level 2 4L60E?

they are both comparably the same price but the powerglide is rated at
1150hp while the performabuilt is rated at 700hp. i'm guessing street drivability is the main difference?
bump for opinions
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default seriously, **** AAMCO!

so i got it on the lift today to take a peek at the flexplate. after wrestling with the starter bolts a little bit i finally got the inspection cover open and this is what i found:

Flexplate? Stall? what's this ticking!?-367751778_1267844028_0.jpg

this lil guy was sticking out about a half an inch, the second one was hand loose also, but the third one was pretty tight. so after tightening these bad boys back up, i started her up and OMG! the ticking was gone! so like the title says, **** Aamco and their $1000 estimate. this cost me $5 for the use of the lift and less than an hour of my time. i'm half tempted to go back there and kick that POS right in his **** holster!

thanks to all you guys here at Tech for helpin me out i could have been out some serious change if it weren't for you guys. this really made my month (don't get me wrong, i would've loved to get a new performabuilt, just wasn't planning on it this soon). and my wife is even more happy than i am since i don't HAVE to get a new trans.

this seems to be a common problem with these cars so maybe we could find a place to sticky this thread? i'm sure it could help some guys out
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Attachment 166478

this lil guy was sticking out about a half an inch, the second one was hand loose also, but the third one was pretty tight. so after tightening these bad boys back up, i started her up and OMG! the ticking was gone! so like the title says, **** Aamco and their $1000 estimate. this cost me $5 for the use of the lift and less than an hour of my time. i'm half tempted to go back there and kick that POS right in his **** holster!
Good deal man! Glad it was an easy fix! And yea a new built trans would be nice, But if your on a budget like me then the trans and rear ends on these cars usually Doesn't get upgraded until the stockers get destroyed. Then when you'd be out a couple grand anyways and have to fix it is the time to upgrade. Lol...

And ****** aamco, Thats pretty lame of them to try and pull **** like that! Cuz you KNOW he would have bullshited you about the real problem and charged you a grand for replacing a perfectly good pump, and hell probably wouldn't have even replaced it!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Good deal man! Glad it was an easy fix! And yea a new built trans would be nice, But if your on a budget like me then the trans and rear ends on these cars usually Doesn't get upgraded until the stockers get destroyed. Then when you'd be out a couple grand anyways and have to fix it is the time to upgrade. Lol...

And ****** aamco, Thats pretty lame of them to try and pull **** like that! Cuz you KNOW he would have bullshited you about the real problem and charged you a grand for replacing a perfectly good pump, and hell probably wouldn't have even replaced it!
exactly, just one more reason why i try to fix it myself first
Old 11-21-2022, 11:38 PM

i have a ticking sound coming from inside my tranny. it sounds almost exactly like an exhaust leak but i am 100% positive that it's not because fixing my exhaust leak is what led me to discover this new ticking so me and the tech that was helping me pinpointed that it was coming from in the tranny. we pulled the inspection cover out a little and the sound got louder, and when we pushed on the cover (creating a tighter seal) it got quieter.

i've done some reading and some common causes of this sound is a cracked flexplate or the T/C. i'm just looking for some more opinions as i'm taking it to aamco for their free external diagnosis. in the past whenever i've done this they just say "it needs to be rebuilt". other than the sound, the tranny works fine and the fluid looks good so i seriously doubt it needs to be rebuilt.

thoughts? if it's one or the other i will just replace both since i have to pull the tranny anyway.
Iv got a vy crewman and had the same problem i found out it was a piece of the plastic flex plate cover had snapped off and was stuck behind the flex plate rattling around and when id drive it sounded like the worst lifter tick bottom end tick sound it was driving me crazy i replaced exhaust manifold gaskets and spent days trying to isolate the sound
How i got the plastic piece out I had a hose and i was spraying the flex plate open without its plastic covers and started the engine and kept spraying water in there until a piece of the plastic cover came shooting out ****** spent ages trying to fiquire this out hope this helps
Old 11-22-2022, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 517 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by organikg
Iv got a vy crewman and had the same problem i found out it was a piece of the plastic flex plate cover had snapped off and was stuck behind the flex plate rattling around and when id drive it sounded like the worst lifter tick bottom end tick sound it was driving me crazy i replaced exhaust manifold gaskets and spent days trying to isolate the sound
How i got the plastic piece out I had a hose and i was spraying the flex plate open without its plastic covers and started the engine and kept spraying water in there until a piece of the plastic cover came shooting out ****** spent ages trying to fiquire this out hope this helps
Welcome to LS1Teck.
If you look above the name of the poster on the left, you will see the date of when the post was made. In this case it was back in 2009. Thanks for the post, I'm sure this may help someone one day.

Quick Reply: Flexplate? Stall? what's this ticking!?