Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob question, how to check atf level

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009 | 07:59 PM
Launching!

Arrow Noob question, how to check atf level

This is gonna sound like a stupid question but how do you check the fluid level on a A4 trans since it's underneath and rear of the car? and what kind of fluid does it take, normal atf? I'm a noob with GM's as you can tell...

98 vette LS1

thanks
Old 04-04-2009 | 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

pop open the hood. the tranny dipstick should be in the middle to the left with a red tip. just use regular dex III tranny fluid. what i do is let the car warm up, and then shift all the way down and put it in every gear and let it sit in each gear for 5 seconds and work my way back up to park. then pull out the dipstick wipe it then, put it back in and see if its in the cross hatch. and if u need fluid, u pour the fluid in the same place where u pulled the dipstick out.
Old 04-04-2009 | 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

It has a rear mounted transaxel assembly, so no dipstick under the hood or anywhere.

Copied from Vette forum,

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid normal operating temperature has been reached.
Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. CAUTION: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
Old 04-05-2009 | 07:06 AM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

you know i never thought about that, and i remember when i had a buddys vette on my lift (pita getting the arms in the right place to lift it and clear the underneath fiberglass, lol) and seeing the rear trans-didnt even dawn on me about how to ck the fluid level-so it has to be done underneath? wow
Old 04-05-2009 | 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats some stuff right there lol WOW PINTA
Old 04-06-2009 | 02:11 AM
Launching!

lol that would be one longg dipstick....

Since not everybody has a lift I guess most people jack it up and put the front n rear on stands or wheel ramps?? Normal Dexron Mercon 3 atf fluid? how many qts?
thanks
Old 08-01-2009 | 10:59 AM
Launching!

I'm doing this this week, where is the fill plug? but most of all what kind of fluid? Dex Merc 3?
thanks

Quick Reply: Noob question, how to check atf level