Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift points

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift points

I wasn't too sure where to post this question? So, I figured is more related to the tranny than the axle...

If one swaps to a 3:73 from a 3:23 will this effect the tranny? Meaning does the shift points need adjusting? Or just leave things the way they are?

I'm not even sure if a gear swap is worth it. I don't plan on installing a 12 bolt and I don't take the car to the track. I've never taken the car to its top end and never plan too. So, a top speed of 130+ is a waste to me. I'd rather have that power in a more useful range, which is why I'm considering a gear swap.

I've been quoted $400 in labor for a gear swap which sounds to be about normal for my area.
However, I thought OEM GM gears being quoted to me at $500+ was a bit high? I've heard don't go with richmonds not sure about the other brands?

Anyway, if a gear swap means having to calibrate the tranny in adjusting the shift points then that's more money and why I'm asking this question in the transmission forum...

Last edited by *JC*; 08-26-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You will have to tune to recalibrate speedo and shift points.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-26-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
You will have to tune to recalibrate speedo and shift points.
How so?

I mean i know one of those hand held tuning devices can calibrate the speedo for a gear swap. However does it also change the shift points when you select the different gear to calibrate the speedo?

Forgive my ignorance I'm just trying to understand all that's involved and if it's worth the trouble?

Thanks