Sponsored by:

4.10s for a4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FST-Z
LOL 01redssa4

Seems that last post of yours was the most informative so far for everyone involved in this thread!

I would have to disagree

01ssreda4,
The OP never initally disclosed that gas mileage was unimportant and that he only drove 40 miles per week. He never said anything about that until post 17.

4.10's is a HUGE hit in MPG for a street car. He said it's a street car. Also as being a street car most racing is done from a roll and his top end will suffer a bit, especially with a stock motor.

I read his post too smart guy and everything I said is a fact. Even though he doesn't race he should know how the ratio will effect the driving characteristics of his car. Plus it's something to think about if he ever does race. I've driven just about every gear behind an A4 so forgive me for giving out more info than needed, geese.

The OP asked what people thought, "is it a good gear for an a4, or is it a bad idea?" and I said it wasn't ideal for a street car and listed the facts. The OP can take all this for what it's worth, it's just my opinion. Since he's already got em' it won't hurt he can give them a shot. If he's just looking to shred tires in 1st gear that's fine. It's a 10 bolt anyways, if he doesn't like it he could pick up a cheap stocker on the boards to swap back if needed. Like I said he's wondering if it will make the car faster and the actuality is gains are pretty minimal over what he had.

He may enjoy driving with them though and I hope he does. Maybe he will for a few months and then not who knows. I'm not shooting the guy down for doing it, I just know people who have and regret it as well as people who have and like it (although they have a non-stock motor and typically race the car). If he said he had a 5000 stall, .620+ lift cam and 28's to go with his 4.10's then go for it, but by saying it's an A4 street car he D/D's I'm just giving the guy a heads up. Nothing is wrong or right here, good luck with the car, I would have recommended a 3.73 gear for his car if he was asking advice before hand.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 09-02-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
I have considered going with a 3.73, at this time I have a 3.23. Stock stall, stock tranny, bolt ons...is a tune necessary when making this change? Sorry for the hijack OP! LOL!
Yup, speedo correction and probably shift points have to be retuned.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yup, speedo correction and probably shift points have to be retuned.
Thats for sure, shifting will be garbage, you'll be shifting into 4th at 40 without a tune.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Gears are one of the cheapest seat-o-the-pants mods out there. Dollar for dollar in parts, they cant be beat. Will you drop big times in the quarter bc of gear swaps?? No, plain and simple. Gears dont make your car that much faster but it "feels" much faster. Lots of very quick cars still run factory gear ratios, so obviously throwing in a big gear is not the answer to a fast car. It is however a good answer to a car thats more fun to drive on the street. I personally recommended JohnnyLT1Runner to buy 4.10s instead of 3.73s and then I took the time installing them nearly free of charge. I knew they would be his best bang for the buck. He could not have spent $275 any other way and made such a huge difference.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, Johnny's car does feel great, now.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

ah yes, 1fstZ helped with the install as well, and has taken before and after rides so his knowledge is first hand also.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Well ya know, all in all I respect everyone's insight on the issue. Bottom line... will the car feel faster? Yes, absolutely. Will it be fun to drive? Definitely. Are there drawbacks from going with such a steep gearset in an auto? Well sure... ya gotta prioritize and decide what you are willing to "give" for the "gain."

Quick Reply: 4.10s for a4?