Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 wont shift out of first

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4 wont shift out of first

Hello ive read allot on these forums but this is my first actual post. I just wish it was under different circumstances.

INFO
1993 firebird lt1
Performabuilt 700r4 stg 2
fti 4000 stall

Transmission was purchased from a member on the forums stating that it had only been driven once and was taken out to go a different rout. I think the transmission sat for a while also

I had the mechanic install the transmission today and it wouldn't shift out of first but had reverse and neutral.

He went back over everything and checked the tv cable and said it still wouldn't shift out of first.

I have done some research and come up with a small list and could use your more experienced advice on the next steps on trying to figure out what could be wrong on this basically new transmission.

1. bad tv cable even tho the mech said it isn't?

2. stuck governor gear?

3. Check the valve body, make sure it isn't stuck?

Any and all advice would be great as i do not have enough money to go threw this again.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Wont shift out of first at all would indicate most likley a stuck or damaged govenor. I would look at that first particularly if the unit sat a while as the fluid can drain away from that area and corosion could occur.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely remove the governor first and check the gear and the valve in the governor. If the governor is OK, the throttle valve is stuck. Depending on who built the transmission, if the throttle valve exhaust checkball was installed and the T.V. cable was left unhooked when the transmission first driven, the throttle valve will jam in the valve body. This usually requires removing the valve body to free it up.

Quick Reply: 700r4 wont shift out of first