Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get the shift linkage rod out of the case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you get the shift linkage rod out of the case?

I have got it loose but it will not pull through the case. I am trying to swap this rod into my other transmission. Help!

The piece I am talking about is the rod that the shift lever connects to. I tried to take a picture but it is not letting me post it for some reason. The rod will slide through the case to a certain point and then just stop.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

What kind of transmission? If it is a 60e, you'll have to remove the pan, remove the "u"-clip that is against the rooster tail, and remove the nut on the back side of the shaft. You may have to take a screw driver and pry the shaft a little bit. Sometimes they are tight getting out.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is a 4L60E, I removed all that stuff from above but it is just really tight in the case for some reason. Below is a picture of the linkage I am talking about.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugger
I have got it loose but it will not pull through the case. I am trying to swap this rod into my other transmission. Help!

The piece I am talking about is the rod that the shift lever connects to. I tried to take a picture but it is not letting me post it for some reason. The rod will slide through the case to a certain point and then just stop.
The trick to the linkage rod is to file it down a little bit right befor the threads start thats the spot that gets stuck. Then pull it out as far as u can, put the nut on the outside and put a wrench under the nut and tap the wrench with a hammer.