Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will not shift into overdrive

Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will not shift into overdrive

As the title says the car will not shift into overdrive while driving. I noticed it when I made a pass on the interstate - the car downshifted to make the pass - then never went back into overdrive since. So now i'm riding at 3k rpms at 70. Any ideas would help - the tranny has about 15k miles on it.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:42 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get it checked for codes to see if for some reason you have a code that cancels 4th gear or maybe even lock up. I have seen 4th and lock up get confused at times by the driver.

If it is a trans issue and 4th gear, then I would suspect that maybe the adjustment for the band might be a bit off or a sticking 3-4 shift valve. Bands do stretch so if it was not build on the tight side then this may be why you are seeing this issue with the miles on it. I would suspect that the band might still be good because you have 2nd gear.

If this is a lockup issue then there are a things that could cause this outside the transmission. However if you we not having any issues prior to this then it is possible that maybe you have a bad torque converter clutch or an internal transmission issue. The thing is it needs to be properly diagnosed. Get in contact with whomever you purchased this trans from and see what they would like you to do. Best of luck. Vince

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: will not shift into overdrive