Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was my A4 in limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Was my A4 in limp mode?

If this has been posted before I am sorry. Tried searching and it sounds like it was limp mode but didn't find my exact circumstances so wanted to ask the question to see if I was in limp mode. A little background first. Replaced motor mounts and when moving the alternator I pulled the exciter(sp?) wire out so when I went to drive it the car it died as I was pulling it into the garage. Fixed wire and started the car. Car felt fine in reverse but when I put it into drive it felt like it was in 3rd. Just barely wanted to move. Restarted the car a couple of times and after thinking my tranny took a dump while it was on ramps, It felt normal again. Like stated, haven't driven the car to verify just did a couple throttle blips in driveway and verified with scanner that it was in first. Didn't see any codes but I didn't hook the scanner up till after I restarted a couple of times so am thinking it might have already cleared. So does it sound like I was in limp mode? Does running the battery completely out while driving cause a limp mode with the tranny? Sorry so long. Any information is appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

When mine goes into limp mode I lose 1st, 4th and lock-up. So starting from 2nd would feel very slugglish like you described. Likely that was the cause and shutting the car off resets it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
When mine goes into limp mode I lose 1st, 4th and lock-up. So starting from 2nd would feel very slugglish like you described. Likely that was the cause and shutting the car off resets it.
Yeah it could've been in 2nd. Didn't verify with scanner or anything. Hopefully the problem has rectified itself.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How exactly do you get an a4 in these cars to go into limp mode? im curious?

does it just take out 1st 4th and the lock up?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Well everything seems to be fine. I guess running the battery completely down caused it to go to limp mode and I just had to restart a couple of times for it to clear.