Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E second gear gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L60E second gear gone

i have a 1999 z28 A4 and second gear is completely gone but i have overdrive still. ive been told it was the accumulator piston so i pulled it out and oddly enough it was cracked so i got an alluminum one and nothing changed. i talked to another trans shop and they said it could be shift solenoids so im considering changing those but i dont know if it would be worth it to try it or just go ahead and have it built.

also another question...

i have a 94 trans am also an A4 and is a 4L60e to my knowledge and i wanted to know if that would swap into the camaro or if thats a big no no.

i appreciate any info
Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont waist your money on the solenoids, I did and it didnt do a damn thing. Time to replace it, also dont forget to get your 6000 stall with launch control on your stock a4 and stock 10 bolt!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 AM
11 Second Club

from my understanding the 94 trans will not work in the camaro. and i had a similar problem with my car no second gear would start in first rev high then go into 3rd and 4th fine dont know if this is what your car does but when mine did this i had to replace the trans and was told that there were chunks in the pan. also if you replace the trans i would suggest a stall and cooler. not necessary but much easier to do when the trans is gonna be out any way and it makes the car a much different beast.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see that is exactly my problem. it wont change gear itll just rev sorta hgh till about 20 or so and when i let off goes right into 3rd. there arent any chuncks in my pan kuz we pulled it to change an accumulater piston which didnt help any but it was a $4 try ya know. well damn i found a local shop that does good work and has a good warranty so hopefully ill work somethin out with him. so far hes told me for a performance build which is upgraded pretty much everything and a shift kit with a 1 year unlimited mile warranty he'd run me about $1450 but thats pulling it building it and reinstall with tax included.

does that sound like a pretty good deal or should i keep lookin?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

If he is a respected trans builder, thats a great deal with him doing all the work.