Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60 HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60 HELP PLEASE!

i have 37000 miles on my 4l60 and about a week ago my second gear started slipping, drove it today and i have all my other gears with nothing wrong. now it will go into second gear but just slips and then goes into third. i also have fourth and reverse as well with no slipping at all. is this something that can be fixed or do i need to get a new one? also the fluid is clear and like when i put it in. any help on what to do is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

anything?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
100% stock transmission? Just a converter?
Any tuning done for the converter?
Are you sure it's 2nd?

Most of the parts for second are easy to get to, the servo on the passenger side, and the accumulator piston can be accessed with the pan off.

How well was it shifting into 2nd before? noticeable? firm? harsh? brutal?
Trans fluid is clean, on the stick or did you take the pan off?

If it was tuned do you know what was changed? Trans pressure?

It could be a cracked accumulator piston, they seem to all be plastic in the 2002 f body transmissions. It's kind of rare for it to break with such low mileage unless the pressure was tuned up.

If it wasn't tuned it might be the converter causing false codes.

You're sure it's shifting through all gears and then locking up? With a stock tune you can feel the converter lock in third, unlock and shift to 4th and lock back up. This can make it feel like it's shifting 5 times. Thats 2nd, 3rd, TCC, 4th, TCC.

When you put the shifter in 2nd it should start in 2nd (if it's the car in your signature), what does it do when you start off in second.

stock trans, the tune is for the converter and everything else. lock up is set at 50 and still locks up. i could kinda tell that it was slowly shifting into 2nd before the mods but wasnt sure, put the stall in and could really tell, it almost felt like a standard going into second meaning the rpms felt like they dropped then shifted. also no codes are thrown and all i think in the tuning was shift points, mph, and torque management and whatever as tuner does. trans fluid is clean on the stick, havent taken the pan off yet. my first gear runs to like 4000 rpms then shift slowly into second then feels like its just slipping then shifts to third then locks up at 4th at 50 mph. is it something i can fix with the pan off maybe?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

also i know its second cause when i got on it from about 10 mph it was slamming the rev limiter and wouldnt go into second, that was when i knew it was really fucked. did it twice in a row. also it was shifting real firm at wot but only got to drive it a few times before it went all the way though.

Last edited by redws618; 04-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.