Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E needs some help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol you are right about the transmission shop. They weren't very helpful.

I ordered this http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4...alharness.aspx since I'm getting a tcc code, manifold pressure switch code, suspected problems with solenoid A, and it's leaking at the main connector. Hopefully this does the trick.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flattopwill
Lol you are right about the transmission shop. They weren't very helpful.

I ordered this http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4...alharness.aspx since I'm getting a tcc code, manifold pressure switch code, suspected problems with solenoid A, and it's leaking at the main connector. Hopefully this does the trick.
Good move

And yes, reverse will still work with or without the A solenoid on (GM designed it this way). I also have a fairly good knowledge of 4L80 hydraulics.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it goes after I put the kit in. Any tips for me since Ive never done more that pull a pan on a transmission?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Ok I got all the switches and solenoids changed as well as a new internal harness. The truck drives MUCH better now. I have first gear no problem. But now I have unveiled some new problems. The 1-2 shift is very sluggish and very hard when it does shift. It seems delayed. It kinda pauses for a sec in the middle of a shift. But, it shifts like it has a shift kit in it. And the longer the pause in the 1-2 shift the harder it shifts. Also, still no 4th gear or tcc lockup. Im gonna clear and check DTCs tomorrow and go from there. Right now Im thinking external wiring issue.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Cleared and rechecked DTCs today. "TCC PWM solenoid electrical fault" code still remains. Im still thinking external wiring issue. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Cleared and rechecked DTCs today. "TCC PWM solenoid electrical fault" code still remains. Im still thinking external wiring issue. Any ideas?
Check pin "S" on the trans connector and make sure it is not broken between there and the PCM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Teching In

I will definitely check that. Hopefully tonight. Btw, thanks a lot for your help on this.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Showed my wiring guy this... http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=413157 and he says he put pin T in location U instead of S into location U. Should explain the problem. We are going to fix it friday night.

Still unsure about the 1-2 shift issue. Probably need the second vss plugged in. Any idea where I can get another vss plug and pigtail?

Last edited by flattopwill; 04-22-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Showed my wiring guy this... http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=413157 and he says he put pin T in location U instead of S into location U. Should explain the problem. We are going to fix it friday night.

Still unsure about the 1-2 shift issue. Probably need the second vss plugged in. Any idea where I can get another vss plug and pigtail?
Junkyard or a company that sells connectors...you could even go to NAPA and the pigtail (transmission side anyway). Its the same as the VSS.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow67
Junkyard or a company that sells connectors...you could even go to NAPA and the pigtail (transmission side anyway). Its the same as the VSS.
Can you clarify the last part of that?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Teching In

Fixed the transmission wiring tonight. Had a misplaced pin. Fixed it. I have TCC lockup now. Check engine light came back on tho.

Still have the weird 1-2 shift issue. Guess ill hunt down another vss connector.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Fixed the transmission wiring tonight. Had a misplaced pin. Fixed it. I have TCC lockup now. Check engine light came back on tho.

Still have the weird 1-2 shift issue. Guess ill hunt down another vss connector.
yes, the ISS harness is the same as the VSS harness (just different pins on the PCM).
Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 AM
Teching In

So the code turned out to be for the pressure manifold switch. It has a brand new one so I dont know what could cause it. Could it have something to do with the missing vss?

95% of the time the truck drives great. The other 5% is the 1-2 shift issue and also a weird thing that has happened twice - It will fall out of 4th gear into 3rd but still give me converter lockup. Didnt know this was possible? Its very weird. Both times this happened it was on the same road with the same driving conditions - cruising at ~60mph with the converter locked and then after about 4 miles it just falls out of 4th and into 3rd. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 4L80E needs some help!