Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 4L60E Prep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 4L60E Prep?

I just picked up a used 4L60E for a drivetrain swap Im doing. I got the trans an the torque converter, but will need a cooler and dipstick for it. That said, how can I go about prepping it prior to dropping it into my Jeep? Im not planning on a rebuild at this time, but I don't want it to die a quick death because I didn't prep it right. The pan was pulled to drain the fluid so it will need resealed, and the torque converter still has some fluid in it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd take the trans to a trusted transmission shop or mechanic, have the debris in the pan/filter inspected to make sure the trans is in good condition without too much clutch material/metal in it. Have the trans flushed and the filter changed and new pan gasket and hope for the best. When you install it make sure you put a few quarts of fluid in it before start up then add as needed. These trannys hold quite a bit of fluid, 12 qts I believe if its completely dry, 4-5qts if it hasnt been properly drained.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other comments/suggestions? Can I run the used converter that came with the transmission?

Is there a good location to pick up a filler tube/dip stick for it?