Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e loses all gears randomly

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e loses all gears randomly

I have been searching for an answer to this but have not come across much. I will attempt to provide as much information as possible... Hopefully somebody can give me some idea of what is going on with my tranny...

4160e tranny, rebuilt about 3 years ago
Fuddle racing converter 4000 stall 2.4 str.

Problems started out of no where - was cruising with traffic, went to give it a little gas and rpms started bouncing between 900rpm - 2500 rpm... would do this at slight throttle or WOT - made no difference, then suddenly i'd lose all my gears... 1,2,3, D, R... all of it. if i shut off the car adn let it sit a minute or two and start it back up, all gears are back, and stay there if i keep the rpms up - as soon as i hit 1000ish rpms when i cruise, the gears go out.

Hooked up a scanner and when the gears were gone, it would say "gear 1" regardless of what gear we actually put it in. like it was not registering that the shifter moved.

The car will not start if the shifter is in reverse or a drive gear, so the lockout still functions and knows when its in gear - it will start in neutral or park.

the scanner reads "Transmission OSS = 0 rpm" at all times.

disconnect the battery - had gears for a few revs, then nothing.

There is a loud slightly clunky noise when the gears work, then the sound goes away and gears are gone.

If anyone can even give me a general idea of what it could be, what things i should check / replace to see if it helps, i'm all ears.

I checked the fluid, its not low at all, its right where it should be when the car is cold and when its running. smells slightly burnt.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt - still looking for the problem
Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if it stops moving period in all gears its a mechanicall issue. Loss of fluid presure for whatever reason would make the most sense.
I would pull the pan and look at what in there and also though ussually it would result in a broken pump check the converter to flex plate clearance.
No movemt at all is not and electrical issue.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like either a clogged filter or damaged pump. You'll know for sure when you drop the pan. The TOSS reading zero is odd though. Either way, the trans will likely have to come out.

Quick Reply: 4l60e loses all gears randomly