Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheres the leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheres the leak?

Trans is a FLT level 4. Last night my car was taking to long to shift and the shifts were soft and not firm like they usualy are. I checked the trany fluid and it turned out to be 2qts low. Then the car was back to normal, so I drove 24 miles and checked it again and there was drops of fluid on the ground, no puddles just drops that followed the car around the parking lot. The car performed good like always the rest of the night but when I would race the car my friend said there was tons of smoke pouring out from the bottom of the car. This morning I jacked up the car and the whole passenger side of the car was covered in fluid from where the driveshaft goes into the trans back to the rearend. With the car still jacked up I turned on the car and looked for any leeks and dident find a one, lowered the car and checked the fluid and it was good. I am stumped, could the trans only leak if it is at wot and then not leak at idle. Any takers?????????
Old 05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Being on the passengers side i would carefully look at the "lines" "dipstick" and the servo cover. You may need to clean everything up and put the car on jack stands and run in gear orr a lift to see it its at the servo cover as there is only presure there in the uppper gears 2-3-4.
If you run car in gear off ground be carefull and have someone there in the car and avoid any moving parts!

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-29-2010, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply, I will try that.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

ok I lifted the car and drove it throu the gears and guess what. No leaks.
Is there somekind of relief valve or something that when it gets too hot it bleads out. Hmmmmm well I will run it tonight and see how it does.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a case vent just behind the bellhousing on the passenger side. I would suggest cleaning everything up very good and keep an eye on it. The one issue in your post that concerns me is you said you were racing and your buddy saw smoke. Then you needed to add two qts of fluid to get the transmission full again. I hope in the process the trans did not get damaged is what I'm saying here. Now why was it leaking? That is what we need to find out. Do you happen to know how hot the trans was while you were racing? Were you hot lapping this trans? Both of which would explain issues with fluid coming out of the vent. If your trans was extremely hot or over filled, fluid coming out of the vent is common. As I stated above get it clean and keep and eye on it. Give us a call if you need to discuss this further. Vince
Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
There is a case vent just behind the bellhousing on the passenger side. I would suggest cleaning everything up very good and keep an eye on it. The one issue in your post that concerns me is you said you were racing and your buddy saw smoke. Then you needed to add two qts of fluid to get the transmission full again. I hope in the process the trans did not get damaged is what I'm saying here. Now why was it leaking? That is what we need to find out. Do you happen to know how hot the trans was while you were racing? Were you hot lapping this trans? Both of which would explain issues with fluid coming out of the vent. If your trans was extremely hot or over filled, fluid coming out of the vent is common. As I stated above get it clean and keep and eye on it. Give us a call if you need to discuss this further. Vince
Thanks for the help vince. Last night I took the car out for a cruse and it started smoking again. Not as bad this time but that was probably because I pressure washed the underside of the car. The drips are in the same spot, right in front of the Y pipe. I dont know how hot the trans was I dont have a guage, And I had been crusing for about 15 mins before I raced, and I only raced it one time that night.

When I jacked the car up yesterday The only fluid I saw was on the passenger side of the car and driveshaft. The front of the trans looked dry, dipstick looked dry. What ever is leaking it must be doing it at hard accelration I guess. A talked to a friend of mine who suggested maybe the seal where the driveshaft goes into the trans is leaking, but I had my eye on it like a hawk when the car was jacked up and running and I saw no leak there. Since I have more time today I will degrease everything under the car and try to figure where to go from here.