Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to a4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M6 to a4 swap

I really hate manual transmissons but lately i been running across a few fbodys with some really cheap pricez but most of them are manual trans so my question is how hard would it be to swap out a manual trans and put an automatic trans in a 4th gen fbody???
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just be patient and wait til you find a nice a4 f-body. It's not too much work but it's work
Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the process of doing it myself. got the trans and accessories out in about 3 hours with my brother in law. new tranny goes in today so ill post up after im done
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
in the process of doing it myself. got the trans and accessories out in about 3 hours with my brother in law. new tranny goes in today so ill post up after im done
thanx
Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a very easy swap really. Just get all the stuff ahead of time . For simple 4l60 swap get trans,crossmember,shifter,top shifter plate, auto pedals.auto wiring harness.
flexplate,no difference in driveshaft length.t56 trans mount and driveshaft no difference.
No pounding or clearancing the trans. Made a plate to cover where manual shifter was ,made a plate to cover where master goes thru firewall. Programming is already there for the 4l60 no change of ecu needed. Just activate the 4l60 stuff in the ecu.

Now if you want to go with 4l80 like me there is a bit more involved. t56 to 4l80 conversion harness. 4l80 crossmember with torque arm relocation. 4l80 has no torque arm provision.
Lokar 36 inch dipstick firewall mount,hptuners to blend the file with 4l80 truck or you can go manual valve body or standalone controller.
Pound inner trans tunnel for big plug on drivers side, pound a bit for the trans cooler lines on drivers side or use 90 degree fittings. cut ears off trans. get torque converter that will hook to ls1 flexplate .get ls1 flexplate. Driveshaft is same length but you need turbo 400 yoke.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

I just did this last week.
I'll post a list of what's need in a thread. Some stuff to note in the mean time. You are gonna have to get the PCM flashed at the dealer to a different vin with an automatic. Speartech sells a add on wiring harness I just made my own. A dip stick for a v8 f body. The tq arm mount and trans tail section for an f body. The shifter shaft in the trans for f body. They are shorter as the pnp switch is not on the trans rather on the shifter. Pm me if you need any more info.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn man I want a t56 if you were in texas I would have gladly swaped everything with you

Quick Reply: M6 to a4 swap