Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall Slipping?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Slipping?

Upon using the search function, could not locate a thread that fit the bill so here is a new thread...

The past couple months I've been having an issue with what I believe to be the stall slipping as I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd @ WOT. It shudders 2-3 times as if it's bouncing off the rev limiter and finally shifts.

Is this the stall slipping or do I need a tune? I never had it tuned after I put my mods on (see sig).

I met a couple guys who suggested installing a tranny cooler because these tranny's supposedly get pretty hot, how important is having one and should I get a tranny flush? 100k miles on it btw. Don't really have the money to do alot of tranny work, need viable options.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

i definetly recommend a tranny cooler, because with a stall it definetly creates some more heat. I also think u definetly need to get a tune to get everything working properly with the new stall.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
i definetly recommend a tranny cooler, because with a stall it definetly creates some more heat. I also think u definetly need to get a tune to get everything working properly with the new stall.
Sorry if I didn't explain in great enough detail. I still have the stock stall, it has 100k miles on it.

Here is an excerpt dug up from one of the sticky's:

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I think this is why you hear so many people talk about bouncing the rev after mods they changed something wether it be power or gearing that changes the rate of the rise and fail to realize that all of these things have to be compensated for. Its not as simple as I want it to shift at 6000 rpm and set it that way because to acheive and actual shift at 6000 RPM where you would actually have to command the shift would be different for virtually any mods you make that can affect the rate the RPM rise during the shift.

So realistically every car would be different depending on the POWER/GEAR RATIO/SPRAY.
Sound like this is fitting to my situation?

It makes sense that I am getting alot more top end so the rate of rise of the RPM's is causing the RPM's to hit the rev limiter before the ECU can complete the shifting cycle. But this only happens from 2nd to 3rd. Anybody with 2 cents make sure to throw it in.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds more like the tranny slipping rather than the stock converter
Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Anyone really know trannies here that can tell me for sure...
Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

I had the same problem last week. Checked my tranny fluid and it was low. My pan had a leak so I changed the gasket/filter. Filled it back up and now no more "slips".

Check your fluid, it might be low.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
I had the same problem last week. Checked my tranny fluid and it was low. My pan had a leak so I changed the gasket/filter. Filled it back up and now no more "slips".

Check your fluid, it might be low.
Going out to check it now, just don't want to EEK! if it really is low...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I drove it around for about 10-15 minutes and then check the fluid. It is at the bottom of the HOT crosshatch. Guess I need to mosey on over to autozone and pick up some trans fluid... so the trans is probably getting way too hot under WOT, I hope there is not irreversable damage done already...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should drop the trans pan and check for any metal. When was the last time you changed the fluid? It could be a trany problem.

Bill
Old 06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I think you should drop the trans pan and check for any metal. When was the last time you changed the fluid? It could be a trany problem.

Bill
I just bought the car 9 months ago, never had the fluid changed or flushed to this point. I don't have a jack so I can't really get under the car right now. That is something to check into though.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Teching In

THANK GOD this isn't serious!!! The low fluid was the culprit but there is no major damage done. I topped off the fluid with some Lucas Tranny Fix and it did the trick! I drove around lightly for 5-10 minutes after adding it and then got on it. The shifts are normal again at WOT! I think all I should have to do at this point is get a tranny flush, replace the filter, and add a tranny cooler for extra piece of mind and I should be good.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Update!

Tranny has officially been laid to rest at Don Brown Chevrolet in St. Louis, MO. Funeral services will be held promptly at 7am tomorrow morning.

Yep! That's all folks! Tranny took a dump on me earlier today. I guess whatever good that came out of what I did in above post ^ was just the calm before the storm. Good thing I have a warranty and only a $100 deductible

Last edited by the.palmetto; 06-21-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Search this Thread