Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regain power loss from auto trans?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regain power loss from auto trans?

My 2002 camaro z28 has an auto transmission. I've been told there is about a 15% power loss due to drivetrain or something. What does this mean? Is there anyway around this loss of power when dealing with an auto trans f-body?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Aside from swapping to another auto trans with lower power loss there is nothing that can really reduce the lost power. Although there are things which you can do to make your car more efficient through an auto trans.

Gears, shift kit and torque converter all help optimize your cars auto trans but do not gain horsepower from this so don't expect that.

FYI manuals also have a power loss through the transmissions
10-15% for manuals
15-20% for auto
Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
My 2002 camaro z28 has an auto transmission. I've been told there is about a 15% power loss due to drivetrain or something. What does this mean? Is there anyway around this loss of power when dealing with an auto trans f-body?
Sounds like you like to Rice from a Roll, or really care about Dyno Numbers.

Given the same flywheel output, a Auto will be faster from a stop, i.e. Drag Race and thats where it matters.

% of loss will vary between ALL components. Hell if I take out the Tru Trac out of my Moser 12 bolt and slap a Steel Spool I'll most like make back 10 hp. Since its a gigantic weight savings.

The trans with the least loss is a Lenco last time I checked. But is illegal in most class racing.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info bowtieboy. ANd screaminmachine, i hate racing from a roll, its just that everyone in my area seems to be to scared to line up haha
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your worried about a little drivetrain loss, go stall and built trans.. It will make you forget all about it!! LOL
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
If your worried about a little drivetrain loss, go stall and built trans.. It will make you forget all about it!! LOL
this is true.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
You could go with a convertor capable of locking up under full power, don't get that confused with a stock convertors lock up clutch. Do a little research of the convertors on the sponsors sites and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Myself I wouldn't worry about the loss, good trans with a matched stall convertor for your needs and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regain power loss from auto trans?