Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Trans Pressure in 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Dude you haven't given me any advice that i didn't already know. The guage has been on it from the beginning and i know exactly what pressures i'm at in every throttle range. I'm trying to figure out what will help me keep the 3-4's survive because not enough pressure/small apply piston surface is what kills these things! So if you have something knowledgable i'm all ears if not then have a nice day............
You're not understanding me.

Tune all the transmission tables stock. Are your 3-4 clutches going to burn up at idle or 1/4 throttle? NO.

You don't need 270 psi to make the clutches live but if you think you do just tune the Force Motor Current table to 98 from the 30 column to the 96 column and set Max Pressure to 96.

This way it'll reach max mechanical line pressure before part throttle and stay there up to WOT, instead of just reaching max at wot.

BTW 2-3 shift timing will burn the 3-4 clutches up before 210-230 psi max line will.
Shift timing is built into the trans mechanically, it has nothing to do with tuning.

I may have some knowledgable stuff to share with you, but don't jump on my *** if you already heard it from somewhere else or if you already know. It's damn difficult to answer a question like this when you're provided with no information to work with.
The following users liked this post:
Dopeydinerdog (05-22-2023)
Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
You're not understanding me.

Tune all the transmission tables stock. Are your 3-4 clutches going to burn up at idle or 1/4 throttle? NO.

You don't need 270 psi to make the clutches live but if you think you do just tune the Force Motor Current table to 98 from the 30 column to the 96 column and set Max Pressure to 96.

This way it'll reach max mechanical line pressure before part throttle and stay there up to WOT, instead of just reaching max at wot.

BTW 2-3 shift timing will burn the 3-4 clutches up before 210-230 psi max line will.
Shift timing is built into the trans mechanically, it has nothing to do with tuning.

I may have some knowledgable stuff to share with you, but don't jump on my *** if you already heard it from somewhere else or if you already know. It's damn difficult to answer a question like this when you're provided with no information to work with.
What i'm trying to do is apply more pressure at slight throttle tip in not at idle. My car at wheel is 450 lbs of torque already at 2000 rpms so i probably am slippping the clutches a little even cruising around town. This is why it's hard to balance the pressures in the trans tables at that far down low because it takes torque, throttle angle, and even tranny temp in its equations. Just trying to find a happy medium is all and save the 3-4's at the same time.

Last edited by ramairws6; 06-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its an old post revival..but i did a search and found good info here

My question converting my 2003 corvette Auto from maf tune to sd tune effect trans pressure/tuning at all..
I have a level 7 rpm 4l60..
Gauge 70 idle..225 25% throttle..i do not know wot yet
I run a huge cooler never gets over 150temp
What kills these trans..im trying to do anything to make it live longer

i have 900 rwhp
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

A good tuner that knows his way around a trans table and line pressure plus a huge *** cooler with fans! I have 2 coolers in series. One with a fan and one without. Haven't ate out any clutches running 9's with about the same rwhp as you. One time at the track I hot lapped the car 30 times! Keep the heat out is the main thing and that trans will live. I've learned a ton in the last 3 years with mine.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

225psi at 25% might be OK at your power level, but seems a bit excessive.
At mentioned earlier in the thread, just be sure it doesn't go much higher than that; since it is new from RPM it probably maxes right at 230.

Quick Reply: Help! Trans Pressure in 4L60E