Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift button broke..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift button broke..

'98 camaro a4.. ok so my button on my stick shifter has been sticking and would have to hit it to untick it lately. today it finally broke an the spring and everything fell out now i have to use a screw driver to push the little button down and it still sticks. i have gotten to lift up the plastic cover an can see all the hardware under the shift lever. i just am lost on wat to do next and how do i remove theshift to replace?

Old 07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem in my 98 trans am where it wont let me push the button on cold cays til the car heated up a little.

If you replace the **** and the button still stick it may be one of the saftey solenoids that prevent you from shifting the tranny when and key is off and foot is off the brake.

I was lazy and just disconnected mine and haven't had the problem since, but I can now push the button and move the shifter when the car is off.

You can Try disconnecting the electrical connector to the brake/trans interlock solenoid (under the shift quadrant indicator) to see if it is not disengaging and holding you up.
Attached Thumbnails shift button broke..-park_lock1.jpg  

Last edited by 98PurpleT/A; 07-09-2010 at 09:07 PM.