Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Overdrive questions!

hey guys, i have a question. i pulled a trailer with my dads 2001 Ford F150(yes i know its not a chevy,his screw up haha) with a 5.4L engine, for about a 4.5hr trip and it had quite a few hills. well after about an hour and a half of driving it started to overheat so we pulled over to cool it off & it did, then we started back driving.

about 15 mins later it started overheating again. we drove about 60-65mph, i was trying to keep up with my dad who was ahead of me in another vehicle he was running 70mph. if i stomped the gas to the floor it would just run the rpms up without gaining speed so it was pretty much maxed out the whole time, i know not good.

anyways my dad called my cousin, uncle, & another guy & they all said that i shouldnt be driving with the transmission in OverDrive. the reason i kept it in OverDrive was because with it in overdrive it would stay about 2500-3000 rpm and WITHOUT OD it would go up to 3600-4000 rpm so i thought that put more strain on the engine so i just kept it in OD.

now my question is, they kept on my *** about keeping it in OD would screw up the transmission & i didnt think it would. so will it or will it not hurt the transmission & is it okay to run with it in OD while pulling a trailer & going up hill? and was it smart to keep OD on since it made the engine not strain so hard?

sorry for the long post guys. thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Hardest worker while pulling a trailer is the trans. By taking it out of OD, the engine would have turned more rpm but with less work bc of the gearing advantage. I agree, OD is a no no. My old lady's truck has a tow/haul button. I used it once while pulling a car. It will go into OD, however, the slightest incline kicks it out. I believe this gives you the best gas mileage possible while still saving your trans.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks 01ssreda4
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I think on flat grades OD would be ok, however when you came to an incline you could manually kick it down if it didnt have a tow/haul button. Also, a bigger or add on tranny cooler would be a plus and they are less then $100.