Sponsored by:

Transgo Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo Install Question

Okay,

This is the last thing which I am scratching my head on.

On Page 2, Step 4

Select Accum Spring
Circle 2nd Piston number

You have a choice of a red spring and a white spring. I only saw a red srping with the midtight coil, so I assume I am suppose to use that. Now do you reuse and stack the red spring ontop of that one or discard the old green Accumulator spring and only use the red one.

I am kind of surprised the directions are vague at this step only.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look again to see if the small white spring is inside of one of the other springs supplied in the kit. You are supposed to discard your original spring and use the one that matches your 2nd gear band servo. If you are installing this kit in a fbody then you should have the vet servo so the white spring is the one required. You could use the red spring however the shift will be a bit softer. I use this spring when installing this kit on heavier vehicles despite the directions. Vince
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

With the TransGo 4L60EHD2 Shift kit, the red spring will make part throttle firmer not softer when using the Corvette servo. The white one is the one to use here. Leaving the spring out will make the part throttle shifts smoother yet. Some of the TransGo 4L60EHD2 Shift kits have the accumulator springs with the mid tight coil, others don't. The tension of the spring somewhat controls how much accumulator oil gets to the 2nd accumulator itself, which effects shift firmness at part to medium throttle openings. With the stock diameter torque converter, drill the 2nd feed hole in the separator plate to .082" maximum. With a 9.5" TC drill it to .093" - .096". Dana

Last edited by PBA; 08-23-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny that you say leaving the spring out will make the shift even smoother. On a 4l80e if you leave the accumulator valve spring out it shifts way harder.

On the 4l60e we received complaints when I built for another shop using the superior kit. If you look at the accumulator valve spring they gave you it was very light compared to the factory and TG springs. We would not use this spring and leave the original in and the complaint went away. Just saying.

Then when I started using the TG kit a harsh PT 1-2 shift was one of the complaints we received in heavier vehicles when using the white spring. I was drilling the feed hole to the smallest size per TG and just changed to the red spring and the complaint went away! This has just been my experience with this kit. Vince
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have never had these experiences before with the 4L60EHD2. Any complaints were always solved using the lighter spring and/or no spring and/or smaller feed hole in the separator plate. I guess there are always exceptions to the rule.

Quick Reply: Transgo Install Question