Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Shift kit???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Shift kit???

I have a 02 SS with a4. Is it worth it to install a shift kit into this trans to firm up the shifts or not?? Is this all in the computer or would a shift kit be beneficial to the car?? It works fine but its stock and seems lazy when shifting. What brands do yall with experience suggest. I plan on putting a convertor in it soon also. Would a corvette servo help??? or just a waste of money.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 04:37 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

The modified TransGo Performance Shift kit will help here as long as your shifts are still good. All LS1 Camaros and Firebirds have the Corvette servo. What torque converter do you have now? And are you planning on a higher stall TC in the future?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 AM
ezz

Originally Posted by Footlead
I have a 02 SS with a4. Is it worth it to install a shift kit into this trans to firm up the shifts or not?? Is this all in the computer or would a shift kit be beneficial to the car?? It works fine but its stock and seems lazy when shifting. What brands do yall with experience suggest. I plan on putting a convertor in it soon also. Would a corvette servo help??? or just a waste of money.

Thanks
Transgo performance shift kit HD2 is actually grat. I have it installed on my 02 SS and its working fine and the shifts became much firmer, but watch out the stock 4L60e doens't hold well on its stock shift kit. This will lead to failure in your transmission in a while. So getting a rebuilt kit along with the transgo shift kit will be safer and would last longer, and you can actually make your shifts even much firmer than having it on a bone stock 4L60e.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

If the Shift kit is installed correctly, you will not harm the transmission, but will increase the life of the unit if you drive hard at all. The way that I setup the Shift kit is to have smooth shifts at part throttle and the shifts getting quicker but not overly firm with more throttle.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
ezz

Originally Posted by PBA
If the Shift kit is installed correctly, you will not harm the transmission, but will increase the life of the unit if you drive hard at all. The way that I setup the Shift kit is to have smooth shifts at part throttle and the shifts getting quicker but not overly firm with more throttle.
wierd cuz wen i did that it actually screwed up everything although it was installed properly..so i had to rebuild everything and now its working fine.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

It is the bone stock factory convertor. I do plan on putting a 3200-3600 convertor in the spring. I was always told that the crisp firm shifts will actually extend the life of a transmission. The lazy cant feel it shift for the average public driver who Doesnt want hard shifts actually puts more stress and wears out he bands quicker. Am I wrong???

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Shift kit???