Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 4L60E Downshift Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 4L60E Downshift Woes

The car is a 95 Trans Am, and it's bone stock. Transmission lost 3rd and 4th, so it got parked until I could afford to fix it. I found a certified local mechanic that rebuilds transmissions at a reasonable rate, pulled the transmission, and dropped it off with him. I get it back a couple days later, and I got a "Corvette" torque converter at the same time, from him. Supposed to be a 2200-2400 stall on it. I installed the transmission, topped off the fluid, and start driving it around. Upshifts on it are nice and firm, but it will bounce off the rev limiter under full throttle. Downshifts are another issue. When cruising at 50-60, and put the gas to the floor, it will flare before it downshifts to second, and then it will bark the tires when second grabs. The local mechanic has been less then helpful in getting the issue resolved. When I drive it normally, it will downshift and upshift fine. It doesn't slip in any gear, either. Before the transmission was rebuilt, it wouldn't always upshift right if it was cold. I'm looking for some advise as to what it might be. I'm hoping its something that I can replace on the trans without having to tear the whole thing down, cause I just don't have the money to pay for another rebuild, nor the tools or expertise to do the whole thing myself.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

maybe you just need a tune?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't think that a bone stock vehicle would need it for a replacement transmission. And I do mean stock, down to the paper filter.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomind
I wouldn't think that a bone stock vehicle would need it for a replacement transmission. And I do mean stock, down to the paper filter.
The mystery torque converter isn't a bone stock item.

It's at a higher rpm now and shifting off mph. That higher rpm might be too close to the rev limiter.

Sounds more like a screwed up rebuild to me.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, I'll concede that the higher stall can be causing the rev limiter issue, but the downshift issue is what really has me concerned. I agree that the rebuild wasn't worth what what I saved by going the route that I did. Now I need to try and get it fixed.

Quick Reply: 95 4L60E Downshift Woes