Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E case wiring plug help..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E case wiring plug help..

I have a 2003 4L80E in my swap, and it is pretty tight against the trans tunnel on the driver's side. It is so tight, that the round electrical connector will not fit into the plug on the side of the case. The connector on my engine harness is sort of a "cobra head" design... it makes a 90 degree bend, which is pretty bulky.

Some of my half-baked but hopeful ideas include:
1) Buying a compatible connector and making some sort of "low-profile" patch cord
2) Relocating the plug to somewhere else on the case (long shot, but I know the Jaguar variant of the 4L80E had this plug on the rear of the case)
3) Running the wires directly out of the case about a foot, seal up the hole with a grommet and some gasket maker, and putting a connector somewhere further up the engine harness.
4) Finding an alternative to the bulky plastic 90-degree connector end... maybe one that is more low-profile, used on other year/model vehicles

Default choices that I REALLY want to avoid:
1) The worst-case scenario - taking out the carpet, cutting the floor with an angle grinder, and fabricating a recessed box so the plug has enough room
2) Taking a big hammer to the trans tunnel and trying to make enough room for the plug

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks, -Dave

Quick Reply: 4L80E case wiring plug help..