Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry 4l60e problems

I have a 95 z28 LT1 with a 4l660e transmission. I just bought the car. It seems to shift just fine during normal operation. The fluid is very dark and I can't tell very well if it's at the correct operating level due to the fluid consistency. At WOT when it gets to the 1st/2nd shift point it doesn't really shift until I let off the throttle. I'm not certain if it's slipping or is just not wanting to shift.

I also have a horrible time getting it out of park.

would a shift kit fix this?

would changing the fluid and filter help?

the tranny has 119,000 on it.

Thank in advance,

Robert
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the fluid smell burnt at all? Dark and thick does not sound good at all. Hard to say if anything would help at this point. It shouldn't make it any worse, I would change out the filter and fluid and check the fluid as you drain it for any shavings or material. It might help, it might not.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Added a bottle of Lucus trans addative, this has helped out quite bit. I think this might be from sitting the past three years. the PO said he would start it once a month... but he never drove it. Think I'll put a few more miles on it then change the filter, and maybe add the shift improvement kit. It's cheap enough.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

wow why do you guys put in lucas? its like adding sand to a slipping clutch. my opinion. drop pan clean it out change filer, pull the speedo sensor and see if it looks like this

i lost reverse and i have 105k on mine. sure the lucas may help for a while but if it was slipping its just going to burn it up faster.
take apart a trans and you should get an idea why lucas is bad for it, and the other stuff swells up seals i geuss. its pretty rare theres ever any answer in a bottle for anthing
im rebuilding my 4l60e my self

Quick Reply: 4l60e problems