Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 Reverse issue (Have to Rev to go in backwards)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH350 Reverse issue (Have to Rev to go in backwards)

I put a new stall converter, and have a TH350 that I put a new filter in and seal. I have a bout 9 qts total in the tranny/converter the fluid on the stick is "good" but I have heard you need more fluid than 9 qts for a drained tranny and new converter.

It will go forward in all gears but when I want to put it in reverse the car will go back 6 inches or so and then stop. I will then wait like 3-4 seconds and pop the gas pedal again and it will give me another 6 inches basically having to rev it up to go backwards

Whats going on? I have a 9.5" 3200 stall converter in it which I put a qt. in prior to putting it on the transmission
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

So it was fine before the converter change?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

ever been in my car, a Mechanic friend of ours gave it to me.

I took the valve body off and inspected it the fluid that leaked out of it when handling it and was in good shape, filter didnt look to dirty.

I changed the filter and put a quart in the new converter and installed it, put about 4 quarts in the transmission and turned it over and let it sit over night for the internals to swell up and all that good stuff.

I have about 8-9 qts in it. Could I have a gummed up valve body? Any way to unstick it? TransDoctor or Lucas Auto Transmission Fix (thick stuff)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Could it be a linkage issue? I mean reverse is reverse doesnt make sense it would do what I describe if it was caught in between ya know?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

ever been in my car, a Mechanic friend of ours gave it to me.

I took the valve body off and inspected it the fluid that leaked out of it when handling it and was in good shape, filter didnt look to dirty.

I changed the filter and put a quart in the new converter and installed it, put about 4 quarts in the transmission and turned it over and let it sit over night for the internals to swell up and all that good stuff.

I have about 8-9 qts in it. Could I have a gummed up valve body? Any way to unstick it? TransDoctor or Lucas Auto Transmission Fix (thick stuff)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Well now that I think of it. I was helping an auto electrician install an american auto wire harness on my car with the car on jack stands long story short I had the shifter in reverse accidentally, and while the car was still running I had a brain fart and just slapped it in to drive and was a pretty bad grind sound and I just shut it off.

The car was running really well in reverse now that I think of it. Wheels spinning freely no problems

I think I need to just go buy two more quarts of tranny fluid and try this again tommorow.

Does reverse require the most fluid? And if I drop the pan how much fluid is going to go all over me?

Seems Im getting pretty desperate...I really dont think I have a problem though I didnt see anything bad originally in the pan, the filter/pan didn't even look gummed up with sludge or anything

Last edited by SHINER; 10-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

well good luck with that mess.

Quick Reply: TH350 Reverse issue (Have to Rev to go in backwards)