Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Grinding Noise when in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Grinding Noise when in neutral

Ok guys i have a built 4l60e transmission in a 04 silverado 2wd. While i was was making a long drive up from the florida keys to head back to school my transmission started making a grinding noise everytime i lifted my foot off the accelerator on the highway, i was only able to hear it when my music was completly off.

I pulled over check my fluids still bright red and wasnt burnt. So i started to drive again i found out if i put it in neutral when im going over 40mph it will make this metal on metal grinding noise coming from the tail housing the faster i go the louder it is.

Truck still pulls great chirps the 1-2 shift and every gear works and shifts fine the transmission only has about 5000 miles on it since the rebuild. Any ideas??
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Check the rear end pinion bearings, see if they're loose. If the front bearing is bad it will make noise on decel and the noise will travel up the driveshaft.

Without throwing random guesses out there it would be best to check the trans pan and filter for metal and then rear. Where theres metal theres your problem.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Grinding Noise when in neutral